Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Jrs east tohoku pass or jrs unli 7 days pass? 2018/11/19 18:32
My family and I will visit the tohoku region. I was just wondering if all trains and buses covered with the jr east tohoku pass are also covered in the jrs unli pass?
by jesselandayao  

Re: Jrs east tohoku pass or jrs unli 7 days pass? 2018/11/20 09:39
Not many buses are covered. The JR East website has quite detailed information about which buses and trains are covered for each pass.

by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jrs east tohoku pass or jrs unli 7 days pass? 2018/11/20 11:46
Strictly speaking, no. For example the nationwide pass does not cover the trains to Sendai airport, the IGR line, or local Tobu trains in Nikko, and it covers the Aoimori line only very partially. The real question is whether that is relevant to you.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jrs east tohoku pass or jrs unli 7 days pass? 2018/11/20 14:13
We are planning to go to Geibikei Gorge, Lake Towada, Lake Tazawa, hirosaki castle, aomori, ginzan onsen. Are these covered under the jrs unli pass (7 days)? Or is it much better to get the tohoku pass instead? And where is the best place to stay in Tohoku to visit all these places in 2 days. I was thinking to stay near JRS Morioka. Thank you
by jesselandayao rate this post as useful

Re: Jrs east tohoku pass or jrs unli 7 days pass? 2018/11/20 14:46
All these places in two days? No way.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jrs east tohoku pass or jrs unli 7 days pass? 2018/11/20 16:30
We can probably stay there for like three days, if we canft visit all these places its fine. I was just wondering if these are all covered in the jrs unli pass? And where is the best place to stay in tohoku region to visit some of these places? Thank you.
by jesselandayao rate this post as useful

Re: Jrs east tohoku pass or jrs unli 7 days pass? 2018/11/20 23:07
JR pass vs JR East Tohoku pass:
If you are utilizing only three days of travel using the passes, I would suggest getting the JR East Tohoku pass, as it is cheaper compared to the JR pass (7 days) and you have mentioned that you are visiting places only in Tohoku region.
JR pass - 29,110 yen (7 consecutive days)
JR East - 19,000 yen (bought outside Japan), 20,000 yen (bought in Japan) - 5 flexible days within a period of 14 days

JR East Tohoku pass coverage:
For some of the places that you have mentioned, either of the passes will cover only the partial routes. I can only talk about the JR East Tohoku pass, as I haven't used the JR pass in Tohoku. I assume you are starting from Tokyo:
Geibikei Gorge - fully covered
Lake Towada - fully covered (Also both JR buses - Hachinohe to Towadako, and Aomori to Towadako are covered in JR East Tohoku pass)
Lake Tazawa - fully covered (the short bus ride from JR Tazawako station to the lake is not covered by the pass)
Aomori, Hirosaki castle - fully covered. You'll still need to get a local bus or walk to reach Hirosaki castle from the station.
Ginzan onsen - the bus ride from Oishida station to Ginzan onsen is not covered by the pass.

Accomodation:
Personally, I cannot comment on accomodation, as all the places mentioned are scattered all over Tohoku, and 3 days is too short to visit all these places. Also, waiting times for local trains and buses in Tohoku are more (from what I have experienced). Realistically speaking, shortlisting to only two or three places could work. But if you would still insist, Morioka is a good base for day trips to Tazawako, Geibikei gorge, and Hirosaki castle. Towadako and Ginzan onsen will take longer to reach from Morioka, and are not ideal day trips from Morioka.

Also, please note that the JR buses from Hachinohe station to Towadako are suspended from November 12,2018 to April 19,2019: http://www.jrbustohoku.co.jp/route/detail/?PID=9&RID=13

A sample itinerary:
Day 1: Travel from Tokyo to Geibikei gorge. If time permits, visit any of the temples in Hiraizumi (Chusonji or Motsuji). Then travel from Hiraizumi to Morioka for the night.
Day 2: Morioka to Tazawako day trip. And back to Morioka for the night.
Day 3: Morioka to Hirosaki day trip. Then, travel from Hirosaki to Tokyo.

Resources online:
Check this link for more details on coverage areas - https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass_t/
Check this link for train schedules and travel times - http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
by Thiag rate this post as useful

reply to this thread