Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Questions about tokyo wide pass 2018/11/29 17:51
Hi There,
I'm planning to go to these areas, and would like to check if the pass covers all of them - kawagoe, ashikaga flower park, sakura (near narita) and then one way ride to narita for my departure flights, within the 3 days validity. Hence, I would either buy this pass 3 days before departure or upon arrival.

Since these areas are my planned destinations, is it better to buy this pass or just pay as I go?

Secondly, I'm also planning for the tulips at sakura near narita, website mentioned that nearest station is keisei sakura station. Does the wide pass cover this area as well?
Is it a good timing for tulip at the end of april?

Many Thanks!
by ceciliac  

Re: Questions about tokyo wide pass 2018/12/1 09:44
kawagoe, ashikaga flower park, sakura (near narita) and then one way ride to narita for my departure flights, within the 3 days validity.

Yes, all these places can be accessed by JR trains that are covered by the Tokyo Wide Pass.

Since these areas are my planned destinations, is it better to buy this pass or just pay as I go?

Assuming you are based in Tokyo, here is what the trips would cost without the pass:
Kawagoe: around 1000-1500 yen
Ashikaga: around 4000 yen (9000 yen by shinkansen which reduces one way trip duration from 120 to 85 minutes)
Sakura: around 2000 yen

Answer: It only pays off if you want to save time by taking the shinkansen.

Secondly, I'm also planning for the tulips at sakura near narita, website mentioned that nearest station is keisei sakura station. Does the wide pass cover this area as well?

No, Keisei stands for Keisei Railway which is a different railway company from JR. It is not covered by the Tokyo Wide Pass. The closest JR station to the tulips is JR Sakura Station. A taxi ride costs around 1500-2000 yen pone way.

Is it a good timing for tulip at the end of april?

The timing of the tulips differs year by year. In the average year late April seems to be a little late for seeing the tulips in Sakura. Mid April usually seems better.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Questions about tokyo wide pass 2018/12/2 16:04
Hi Uji,
Thanks so much for your reply.
May I know if we can use the shinkansen with the tokyo wide pass?

The taxi cost from JR sakura to the park is quite expensive, but when I check from the website there might be a bus to keisei sakura station, and from the station to the park itself. Perhaps I can check again when I reach JR sakura station.

The fare that you mentioned is it for one way or return trip?
Reading your feedback, will try to plan my trip earilier in april for the tulips.

Thanks again
Cecilia
by ceciliac rate this post as useful

Re: Questions about tokyo wide pass 2018/12/2 17:01
The taxi cost from JR sakura to the park is quite expensive, but when I check from the website there might be a bus to keisei sakura station, and from the station to the park itself. Perhaps I can check again when I reach JR sakura station.

As Uji said before KEISEI-SAKURA Station is not covered by the pass you are considering buying. If you just go with normal ic card, then you can take Keisei Line. If you look at a map you will see that gSakura station g (thatfs the jr station) is quite far away.

It seems you can rent a bicycle at that station.

I tried looking up busses from there to the park. NAVITIME shows me a bus connection that supposedly takes about 45 min. I canft see the details of it as I donft have the paid app, but it sounds like a bus that potentially leaves you quite far away from your destination. Hard to say though. Maybe it just takes a long ride. Not sure if NAVITIME on a computer works without paying. You could give it a try. But make sure to select the jr station and not Keisei.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Questions about tokyo wide pass 2018/12/3 10:53
Those destinations are all fairly close to Tokyo (even if they are around two hours for some of those trips), so you would be hard pushed to get full value from the 10,000 yen three day pass.
As mentioned above, using the shinkansen shortens the travel time, but you need to weigh up if the saved time is worth the extra cost.
The Tokyo Wide Pass is very good if you are going further from Tokyo (within the coverage boundaries), but for your three destinations, maybe not the best option.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Questions about tokyo wide pass 2018/12/3 15:41
You can consider greater Tokyo pass 3 Day =7200 yen.This great rail pass always consider great value of money.
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Questions about tokyo wide pass 2018/12/4 09:55
"Greater Tokyo pass " is not a great way to get around because it excludes JR. To get to the OP's destinations using that pass would consume a lot of extra/valuable time for a small saving.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Questions about tokyo wide pass 2018/12/5 14:05
Thanks for all your input! Appreciate it very much.
After looking at the tokyo wide pass and the greater pass, I think it's not big difference in terms of cost and there's also time limit for the usage. Probably I will just buy the regular fare which is more flexible.

Re: Questions about tokyo wide pass 2018/12/5 17:54
noted with thanks! I assume that if i push it and cover more places, this pass will definitely be worth to buy. :)

reply to this thread