Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cheapest route from Hiroshima to Takayama? 2018/12/15 23:00
I have to go from Hiroshima to takayama in April. I donft want to fly. Any idea on another cheap way to go there? I know the Shinkansen is an option, but anything else? Thanks!
by Bran85  

Re: Cheapest route from Hiroshima to Takayama? 2018/12/16 08:49
highway or expressway buses are normally the cheapest. You would need to transfer somewhere in Osaka.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest route from Hiroshima to Takayama? 2018/12/16 09:04
Flying isn't really an option as you would end up at Toyama, not Takayama, and getting to Hiroshima Airport takes a while, and not faster than the train.
Highway bus is normally cheaper than the train, but not always that much cheaper. And would take a long time - probably as long or longer than even local trains.
And, depending on where else you are going, (and in what time-frame), your overall travel might make the shinkansen a lower cost option. However, you can do the trip by local trains for less than 12,000 yen, but it is a long trip. (Actually, you can get five days travel for less than 12,000 yen).

Personally, having done Hiroshima to Takayama many times, not picking the fastest way is a waste of time and makes a long day even longer. Even using the shinkansen it is a good use of money for the hours saved IMO.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest route from Hiroshima to Takayama? 2018/12/16 09:55
Bus will be cheap, but long.

Hiroshima to Osaka is about 7 hrs and 4000-5000y
Osaka to Takayama is about 5.5 hours and 3300y

So a really long day of bus rides and 8000y or so.

Shinkansen to Nagoya and then transfer to Hida will be 5 hours and 17000y. So more than double, but less than half the time.

I guess you could do Shinkansen to Kyoto (2hrs, 11000y) and then take the bus from there(4.5 hrs, 2800y) for a total of 6.5hrs and about 14000y

Are you going anywhere else before Hiroshima or after Takayama? Maybe a Rail pass makes sense?
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest route from Hiroshima to Takayama? 2018/12/17 08:07
Yes, the 5-day local train discount ticket would get them there "faster" in 10 hours for a fraction of the price. http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/seishun18.html

Re: Cheapest route from Hiroshima to Takayama? 2018/12/20 08:33
That is an option if their travel will be complete by early April. The validity period for Spring 2018 ended on April 10, so I would expect similar for 2019.

However, all my Hyperdia searches come up with 12-13 hour trips with 8+ transfers using that pass.
by TW (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest route from Hiroshima to Takayama? 2018/12/20 09:44
However, all my Hyperdia searches come up with 12-13 hour trips with 8+ transfers using that pass.
And that, is exactly, the point. It takes a really long time and people don't value their time, or understand how long and tedious the trip can actually be. Saving time is actually also saving money.

Certainly the Seishun-18 is a niche product.

Re: Cheapest route from Hiroshima to Takayama? 2018/12/20 11:07
Yes, the shinkansen is not the cheapest and but it`s the most convenient.

There are cheaper options like the bus or taking the local trains, but taking the bus takes such a long time and the local trains take a long time plus you`ll have to transfer trains many times.

For more information visit https://www.go-a2b.com/
by A2B (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest route from Hiroshima to Takayama? 2018/12/20 16:40
Some people forget that wasting time on travel means extra hotel night(s) and meals. That can quickly eat up any money saved and more. Not to mention the opportunity costs of what for most is limited time in a foreign country.
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread