Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Temporary entrant overstay of 1 day 2018/12/21 02:51
Hi there,

I'm in Japan currently, staying for 3 months with a Dutch passport. When I booked my flights I booked for 3 months exactly, as in departure to departure Nov 24 - Feb 24. I actually entered Japan on the 25th and have just noticed in my passport that the stamp says my stay expires on the 23rd of Feb, so my stay has been calculated at 90 days, a little less than the 3 months I expected.

Will there be trouble for me when I leave if I overstay by 1 day? My flight is 8.30am so not even a whole day over the expiry. I don't want to change my flights as there is a large change fee! I plan to return to Japan in the near future!

Thanks in advance for any advice :)
by Natalie (guest)  

Re: Temporary entrant overstay of 1 day 2018/12/21 06:45
You might want to quickly become German or maybe a citizen of sunny Mexico to get a 180 day visa: https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/short/novisa.html

Jokes apart, I would not risk staying a day longer than in what is written in your visa. I think however that it is possible if you pass through passport control on the evening before and then spend (unconfortably) the night inside the airport, behind the passport control, to stay that extra night.

If in doubt, you should go to the local immigration office and ask, maybe they can give a 1 day extension.

An other alternative obviously is a quick trip to Korea or Taiwan.

Enjoy your stay in Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Temporary entrant overstay of 1 day 2018/12/21 06:47
Will there be trouble for me when I leave if I overstay by 1 day?

Maybe; that's for the immigration authorities to decide. They could let you off with just a slap on the wrist, or they could arrest and jail you, or something in-between.

Using a low cost carrier like Peach you could do a quick round-trip to Korea for about 10,000 yen. When you enter the second time, you get a new 90-day permit, so no problem for your outgoing flight.

Or, if your outgoing flight is from Haneda, you could pass immigration in the evening of the 23rd and ait for your flight airside, if your airline lets you check in your luggage.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temporary entrant overstay of 1 day 2018/12/21 08:56
It is a 90 day visa. Not a 3 month visa.

Go to immigration and explain.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temporary entrant overstay of 1 day 2018/12/21 08:59
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temporary entrant overstay of 1 day 2018/12/21 09:18
90 days not including arrival day - it is very clear.
You could look at changing your flight. I doubt you would be able to check-in a day early and go through immigration - check-in for flights is usually only 3-hours before.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Temporary entrant overstay of 1 day 2018/12/21 10:34
Thank you for all your responses!

I was under the impression it was 3 months as I have 2 passports and was told at the Japanese embassy in London that my Dutch passport allowed a 3 month stay but my Australian one a 90 day stay, so the Dutch passport was a couple of days longer. I'm thinking of extending anyway so will either go to Korea for a weekend or just visit an immigration office and get the 14 day extension.

Thanks again!
by Natalie (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread