Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wakayama: Hiking and Areas to stay 2018/12/21 17:31
Hello, I will be spending a few days in Wakayama from 23 March 2019, and I am seeking recommendations as part of my research.

1) Since I'll be in Wakayama during the end of Winter, is it actually possible to hike?

2) There are so many beautiful hiking spots in Wakayama and I am spoilt for choice. If 'Yes' to Question 1, which mountains or nature parks would you recommend if I'm a moderate hiker? I can hike anywhere from 3 to 8km (3 to 6 hours) with elevation gain.

3) Should I stay 4D3N, or 3D2N in Wakayama? Besides hiking, i plan to pick fruits (if any), walk/cycle around and explore the town, soak in as much local sights, sounds and flavours as much as possible. Not a very city person so I'm open to anything.

4) Which city in Wakayama would you recommend staying in? Nachikatsuura looks like a nice spot but just wondering if you think otherwise.

Thank you for your time :)

by coolzephyr20  

Re: Wakayama: Hiking and Areas to stay 2018/12/22 02:50
Hiking in March is no problem.

I have stayed near Nachi-katsuura for 2 nights last year. For budgetary reason, and also because I did not know the area, I chose to stay in a more remote area close to station Ukui. The hotel was wonderful with outdoor onsen overlooking the ocean. For transportation, the hotel offered free shuttle to nearest bus stop and train station, but only during specific periods. For that reason, my breakfast and dinner options were limited to in-hotel dining. That would be the only thing I would change if I go back to that area - to stay closer to the town (near station Kii-katsuura) so that I have more dining options.

I hiked segments of the Kumano Kodo trail, and it was very inspirational. The weather varied a lot (except snow), so be prepared for that.

I wanted to extend the stay one more night, so I asked the hotel if there was a vacancy. Unfortunately, the answer was no without paying a lot more than I could. So I went on with my original plan.

by O92 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wakayama: Hiking and Areas to stay 2019/1/3 18:08
Thank you for your response. It's very helpful!
by coolzephyr20 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread