Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Non-reserved seats in mid January 2018/12/29 15:41
Hi everyone

Ifm heading from Tokyo to Kyoto round trip in Mid January. Tokyo to Kyoto on the 14th January and returning on the 18th.

Have been looking at the Japanican deal - 21000 yen for Nozomi in non-reserved seats.

The question I had was, will travel still be busy at this time of the month after new year? Also will heading from Tokyo to Kyoto on a Monday (14th Jan) and returning on a Friday (18th Jan) be busy (I thought maybe with business travellers?)

Basically was wondering if I will have a hard time with finding a seat in non-reserved section on the Nozomi on the dates I listed.

The other option I was thinking was just booking a reserved seat windchill will cost around 28,000 yen. Having never visited Japan and with no language skills, a reserved seat does sound easier!

Thanks!
by Acroo (guest)  

Re: Non-reserved seats in mid January 2018/12/29 17:30
It is never excessively busy in mid January. However, depending on the station and time of day, getting non-reserved seats can be very difficult. It is not difficult at Tokyo Station because it is the first station along the line. If you go early enough to the platform, you will be able to get a seat. Kyoto is more difficult because it is a station along the way. It can be risky especially during mornings and evenings.

by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Non-reserved seats in mid January 2018/12/29 17:38
Shouldn't be a problem as trains run about every 10 minutes
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Non-reserved seats in mid January 2018/12/29 17:54
Even if all the non-reserved seats are occupied when you board at Kyoto, you will most likely just need to stand until Nagoya (35 minutes) since many people will disembark there.

Re: Non-reserved seats in mid January 2018/12/29 17:55
So what times of the day would be best to try and get non-reserved seats? I'm not in any rush on my days of travel so am able to travel at any time of the day.

So is a train is full, would you suggest just to wait 10 - 20 mins till the next train?
by Acroo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Non-reserved seats in mid January 2018/12/29 18:10
You can't really tell from outside whether an unreserved seat carriage is full; even if you see people standing, some people just can't be bothered to take a seat in an almost-full carriage.

Personally I wouldn't think too much about it, board a train when I feel like it, and worst case stand until Nagoya. (When you board at Tokyo it's different, since then there's nobody in the car so you just look at how long the lines are.)

Re: Non-reserved seats in mid January 2018/12/29 18:58
Tokyo station to Kyoto is a no brainer. If you travel alone really no need to get a reserved seat unless you travel right on the most busy day of the year which you are not. I normally take the Shinkansen from Shinagawa and found reservations more of a hinderance as you think you should be waiting for your train. (Actually even if you have a reserved seat you can still go to the unreserved car if you are at the station too early. Which is what I did too often and ultimately decided to not reserve anymore. )

The only trains I would reserve for is the last ones of the day. Or obviously if you have a specific connection to catch.

I canft speak to Kyoto as I travel back from ShinOsaka and normally used the last train of the day and got a reservation then.

Enjoy your trip to Kyoto!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Non-reserved seats: Tokyo -- Kyoto (1) 2018/12/30 05:51
On your way to Kyoto,
you will not encounter many business persons (like those seen on weekdays),
because the 14th of January (the second Monday), 2019 will be a public holiday in Japan.
The weekend from the 12th will be practically extended.

On the 14th (Monday holiday) ,
there may be some people traveling back from eastern to western Japan
by Shinkansen on Nozomi trains without seat reservation,
saving about 1000 yen per adult passenger
compared to a ride with his/her seat reserved.

However,
that would not greatly affect your chance to secure your seat, I suppose,
because travelers who give the top priority to a low cost would mostly choose highway bus.

Having never visited Japan and with no language skills  

You will find many, many passenger-freindly signs here and there in both Tokyo and Kyoto Stations.  

It may be better
to use Tokaido Shinkansen from Shinagawa Station instead,
where only one Shinkansen zone exists
(compared to two in Tokyo Station),
but that depends also on where in Tokyo you will start.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Non-reserved seats: Tokyo -- Kyoto (2) 2018/12/30 05:57
Any Nozomi train running on Tokaido Shinkansen is composed of 16 cars;
only 3 cars are for non-reserved seats: Car Numbers 1 to 3.
When the train goes westbound / eastbound, Car Number 1 is at its head / tail.

- Example of signage for Tokaido Shinkansen in Tokyo Station
https://www.japan-guide.com/g3/2018_how_sign.jpg

- Map of Tokyo Station
https://global.jr-central.co.jp/en/info/station/_img/tokyo.jpg

In Tokyo Station, there are two separate Shinkansen zones,
of JR Central (for Tokaido Shinkansen)
and of JR East (for Tohoku, Joetsu and Hokuriku Shinkansen).
The zone for Tokaido Shinkansen
is indicated by a blue-and-white pictgram symbolizing Shinkansen train's head.

Shinkansen South Transfer Gate (No. 9 in the map)
is close to the positions for Car Numbers 1 to 3.
When you get into the non-Shinkansen zone from outside the entrance gates,
Yaesu South Ticket Gate (No. 5 in the map) or
Marunouchi South Ticket Gate (No. 12 in the map) sound good.

You see Tokaido and Sanyo Shinkansen written together in signages,
becuase many trains go also on Sanyo Shinkansen (of JR West).
On these two Shinkansen lines, wetbound trains each have one odd number;
Nozomi trains of odd numbers larger than 200 go as far as to Shin-Osaka Staion,
which is the boundary station between the two lines.

Re: Non-reserved seats: Tokyo -- Kyoto (3) 2018/12/30 06:00
Have been looking at the Japanican deal - 21000 yen for Nozomi in non-reserved seats.

That packege includes also a one-day Kyoto subway and bus pass.

Probably,
you will get, in excahnge for your Shinkansen E-voucher (printed on paper),
a pair of Shinkansen basic-fare and non-reserved tickets,
and each tikcet will allow you to choose Tokyo or Shinagawa Staton
when you will get on or off your Shinkansen train.

Re: Non-reserved seats in mid January 2018/12/30 15:41

iBasically was wondering if I will have a hard time with finding a seat in non-reserved section on the Nozomi on the dates
I travelled several times during golden week, which is one of the busiest time in Japan.
I arrived and queued early ( 20/30 mins before train's arrival), and normally no issue getting a seat.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Non-reserved seats in mid January 2018/12/30 16:28
queued early ( 20/30 mins before train's arrival),
With 10 trains an hour would would have seen several come and go - why wait that long?!?! Crazy - 5-10 minutes is more realistic.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Non-reserved seats in mid January 2018/12/30 18:55

queued early ( 20/30 mins before train's arrival)
Sorry, those were my experiences with Tohoku as well as Hokkaido Shinkansens, which are not as frequent as Tokaido shinkansens. With Nozomis, JapanCustomTours is correct, 10mins would be ample.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread