Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cherry blossom (Full bloom) query 2019/1/20 00:57
Hi All!!

Me and my family will be in Tokyo starting April 1 to 6 and as what I've seen in the news today, the full bloom in Tokyo will be on March 29.

Will we still be able to see substantial blooms in Tokyo given our stay?

Thank you very much!
by Paolu  

Re: Cherry blossom (Full bloom) query 2019/1/20 08:40
The cherry blossom forecast is currently in its very early stages, and should be taken with a grain of salt. There is no way to make accurate predictions this far out, and indeed even at the start of March things can change.

The best way to ensure you see full bloom is to keep your plans as flexible as possible, and be willing to travel to see the cherry blossoms if you hear they are full bloom elsewhere.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cherry blossom (Full bloom) query 2019/1/20 09:36
Forecast relates to one specific type of cherry blossom tree/variety - there are more than 600 in Japan. The blossom time for places like Shinjuku Park extends six weeks - it's impossible to miss. Ueno Park also has a long season and many different trees.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Cherry blossom (Full bloom) query 2019/1/20 13:31
If the season is early - "Head to dem hills"....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Cherry blossom (Full bloom) query 2019/1/20 14:53
Last year the blossoms came early and we got there just as they ended in Tokyo. Along the Sumida and most of the favorite walks it was mostly dead blooms that had just fallen. However, we stopped by Shinjuku park and there were several varieties in full bloom with crowds enjoying them that we really enjoyed. And then we took a side trip up to Matsumoto and caught them at their absolute peak on a sunny blue sky day. It was perfection, with the beautiful castle as a backdrop.

Anyway, the point is that if you don't catch them in the obvious places or where you planned, check one of the many blossom watch calendars and be flexible. Change your plans and you can most assuredly find them.

And as was said, it's far to early to put stock in the forecast. We planned for peak around the forecast last year and then there was a heat spell in March and they came over a week earlier than they were supposed to.
by TW (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cherry blossom (Full bloom) query 2019/1/20 16:14
And the other way. I did a trip some years ago that was supposed to cover the whole season but there was a cold spring so the blossoms were just opening as I left the country. I still had a great time though.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

reply to this thread