Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is this too much? 2019/1/27 14:05
Late March -Early April
First time in Japan. Solo Traveller.

DAY 1- Tokyo

Afternoon

Sakuragaoka Cho street
Gyoen Park
Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building
Shibuya Crossing
Memory Lane
Golden Gai

Day 2- Tokyo

Tsukiji Market
Hibiya Park
Imperial Palace Gardens
Yoyogi Park
Meiji Shrine
Ghibli Museum
Takeshita street
Omotsendo Plaza
Roppongi Hills
Mori Garden
Ginza

Day 3- Tokyo

Sumo Training
Sensoji
Nakamise Street
Tokyo National Museum
Ueno Park
Zoo
Bentendo Temple

Odaiba
Akhihabara

Day 4- Tokyo

Disney Sea

Day 5-
Daytrip to Nikko

Day 6- Travel to Kyoto

Nishiki Market
Manga Museum
Fushimi Inari Shrine
Gion
Maruyama -koen park

Day 7- Kyoto

Arashiyama
Kinkaku-ji
Daitoku-ji
Southern Higashiyama

Day-8 Kyoto

Northern Higashiyama
Kyoto Gyoen
Travel to Nara

Day 10-
Nara
Travel to Koyasan

Day 11-

Koyasan
Travel to Osaka

Day 12- Osaka

Osaka Castle
Himeji Castle Daytrip

Day 13- Travel to Kanazawa
Kenroku-en
Shirakawa

Day 14- Travel to Takayama
Matsumoto

Day 15- Travel to Kawaguchiko- Hakone
Stay in Hakone Ryokan

Day 16- Travel back to Tokyo and fly home
by AC (guest)  

Re: Is this too much? 2019/1/27 14:25
Almost all the days are unrealistic. Some have 3 days of sights pushed into 1 day.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is this too much? 2019/1/27 14:53
Your Tokyo days are very crowded and poorly planned - you haven't grouped the sights into similar areas and so will be criss-crossing the city and wasting a lot of money and time in transport.

Matsumoto is not in Takayama. They are separate cities and are several hours apart.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is this too much? 2019/1/27 15:23
Some of these days are more like a week. I understand the urge to make the most of a trip and see as much as possible, but you also need time to *enjoy* it.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Is this too much? 2019/1/27 17:00
Yeah really you'd need to be the engergizer bunny with a transporter from star trek to get all that in. I almost lost my breath just reading it. I dont think you need a day for Disney Sea though, once you've been there and looked at how long the lines are for the rides, really you'd probably have had enough after 3 hours or so.

Also things like Fushimi Inari - so crowded now that it is a low value experience, and it could take two hours to get through even if you were sprinting. Why not let us know what you really want to see and what your interests are. Eg if you are going to Matsumoto for the castle, instead you could go from Kyoto to Hikone which has a nice castle then on to Kanazawa, and it would pretty much be on your way.

I like a lot of your trip after Tokyo, but I'd skip Osaka altogether unless there is something you really want to see there.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is this too much? 2019/1/27 20:32
Wow, those Tokyo days are insane.

And are you really planning to head to Kanazawa, go to Kenrokuen, then to Shirakawago in the same day?

I get that you have a big wishlist, but you need a complete overhaul because this is just not viable.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Is this too much? 2019/1/27 20:52
Op here.

Yes, I'm in the preliminary stages of planning and trying to map out the areas. I haven't given a lot of thought to travel times etc. I'd be completely willing to drop a few places or add a few days or both. I also like the idea of having 1-2 set things to do per day and going with the flow the rest of the time.

1. How long before should the bookings be done if I want to visit during cherry blossom season next year?

2. Is the Takayama- Kanazawa etc doable by public transport? Should i be giving two nights to each?
by AC (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is this too much? 2019/1/28 02:04
Op here.

Yes, I'm in the preliminary stages of planning and trying to map out the areas. I haven't given a lot of thought to travel times etc. I'd be completely willing to drop a few places or add a few days or both. I also like the idea of having 1-2 set things to do per day and going with the flow the rest of the time.

1. How long before should the bookings be done if I want to visit during cherry blossom season next year?

2. Is the Takayama- Kanazawa etc doable by public transport? Should i be giving two nights to each?
by AC (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is this too much? 2019/1/28 02:10
Takayama/Kanazawa is doable by public transport. See the transport section or google maps/ hyperdia.

2 days of each would be for medium to slow travelers. So in my eyes perfect but you seem to have beaming powers looking at your Tokyo days.

If you want to really see all you have listed in Tokyo you could probably just di Tokyo and Kyoto in the time you have. Also not all those sights in Tokyo imho are must-sees. You could safely skip a few gardens unless you have a special interest for them.

Enjoy planning your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is this too much? 2019/1/28 05:55
You just need to keep in mind that everything will probably take longer than expected to get to, and eating will also suck up much more time than you think. There will be things that you stop and see on the way to some place.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Is this too much? 2019/1/28 22:30
- If you're only going to Osaka to visit the castle, I'd skip the city all together. More so because you'll visit the superior Himeji castle on the same day. Only go there if you're also interested in other stuff like Dotonbori, Shinsekai, Denden, Minoo, Expo Park, Umeda Sky Building, Sumiyoshi Taisha, etc. I generally think Osaka is a very underrated city (on this website especially), but its castle is overrated.

- Higashiyama doesn't take two days, don't do that. Also Kyoto is a public transport mess so be real careful in planning what to visit on which day.
by NJeroen rate this post as useful

reply to this thread