Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Language Schools in Japan 2019/2/21 14:26
Hello. I am in few weeks moving to Japan to attend a graduate school for a term of two years. During the initial six months (classes are in the evenings at the graduate school), I am also planning on attending a language school to get a fast start at learning the language. I am above 30 but I have experience in life with learning two foreign languages previously (French and English). I know there are many school options but the budget is also a point of consideration for me (if I can limit the school fee to somewhere around 50000 Yen / monthly) since I am also paying for the graduate school fees. Do you have any experience that you can share relating to this topic, any schools that you can recommend?
by Bizarre Journeys  

Re: Language Schools in Japan 2019/2/21 15:50
Which city are we talking?

For a full day course (e.g. 4h/day) you might be already quite late to sign up, but you can try. THen there are local community driven language classes, everything I ever heard about them, does not make them sound very good. But many are free of charge.

What is your goal in studying Japanese? Full fluency (including writing, reading...) or mainly verbal communication?

I can only talk about 2 schools in Tokyo:
Coto: my husband (and separately also a friend) went there. It is a language school mainly geared towards westerns, meaning more focus on verbal communication and much less on kanjis.
Naganuma school: That's the school I went for about 1.5 years, full time (4 h / day plus 2-3 h homework). Most students are Taiwanese plus other Asian countries. Some Westerners as well. Focus is on learning all skills, but with classroom size of up to 14 speaking isn't a strong here. After 1.5 yrs I passed N2.

When looking for schools I also visited KAI and had a trial lesson. That school also seemed quite good and I heard good things. Group size similar to Naganuma though. (At Coto it is much smaller).

Enjoy studying Japanese!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Language Schools in Japan 2019/2/21 16:05
I should have sure mentioned the city! Tokyo. Thank you for your very helpful reply!
by Bizarre Journeys rate this post as useful

reply to this thread