Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Figuring out if I can work in japan 2019/2/25 08:10
Hi guys I'm currently struggling to find information since I'm in a special case. I'm currently finishing my studies of japanese in japan and wondering if I could get a work visa.

My school that I studied in canada calls it an It diploma, however two people I have talked in japan with have called my diploma a bachelor's or from what I can understand they told me, because I studied 4 years and got a major in information systems.

If you're wondering who said it, my japanese school said that I should've I've been put into the 大学生 category on my student visa because of it. Which at the time I didn't know I supposed to attach it because I didn't think it would work. I also had a recruiting company saying it should be fine since they stated that it was only a major they looked at.

The problem is it doesn't say Bachelor's on it. So I was wondering if I could get into japan to work with it or if I shouldn't even bother wasting my time and just go home?
by Sky (guest)  

Re: Figuring out if I can work in japan 2019/2/25 09:39
Most qualifications fall into a framework for different levels of achievement and equivalency. Sound like you are concerned that because of the name on a piece of paper says "x" and not "y". If your qualification is the equivalent of a university degree, then that will make your life easier. Probably finding out at what level the qualification is is your next step.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Figuring out if I can work in japan 2019/2/25 14:25
As a Canadian that is quite familiar with the post secondary education system here all I can say is that if you studied at a Community College in a program that was in no way affiliated with a university, it's a diploma. If you studied at a university, its a degree. If you studied in a program that was in both Community College and University (Nursing programs are an example of this) it depends on which school conferred the document.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Figuring out if I can work in japan 2019/2/25 15:19
Everyone likes to think they are a special case, but must often they are not. Also, "You need a Bachelor's if you want to work in Japan" is one of the very many false things you read on the Internet.

You will be fine
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Figuring out if I can work in japan 2019/2/25 15:21
The problem is my diploma has a major on it.
Which is why the recruiting and my school said it should be fine. Since all the recruiting company asks for is just a major. But you guys are being helpful so thanks for the information.
by Sky (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Figuring out if I can work in japan 2019/2/25 17:29
Having a "major" on it is simply paper work. My undergraduate degree is in science and lists no major - that is simply how the certificates were done (I have triple major at undergrad level - just the way my courses worked out). My Masters degree in commerce lists my major for that, but these days, is pretty irrelevant. My dad has a diploma (from a university), but that was a shorter course/lower level so doesn't qualify as a bachelor's degree, I think it is more akin to a polytechnic/more trades college type of thing.
The other thing to note (probably not relevant for you) is that some countries a bachelor's degree is a three year course of study, and these are still as valid as the four-year North American ones - maybe we (Aus/NZ) cram more into the course - not sure. But when applying internationally there is a degree equivalency process - recognised schools/universities make it a little easier.
Good luck with your applications.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread