Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tax Resident Definition 2019/3/5 14:12
Dear Officer,
I hold Japanese passport but I do not work in Japan or have payroll in Japan. I would like to know whether I'm Japanese tax resident or not?
Should I pay individual tax in Japan?

Thanks.
Best Regards,
Peter
by peter Xi (guest)  

Re: Tax Resident Definition 2019/3/5 16:17
It depends on where you do actually receive payments from and the taxation agreement between the two countries. You might be tax resident in both and be liable to pay taxes in both, or, just one country.

In my case I would normally be tax resident in Japan and my home country, but fortunately the taxation agreement between the two includes something called "tie-break" rules, so I am only tax resident in Japan.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Tax Resident Definition 2019/3/5 16:18
And just as an additional comment, you don't need to actually receive income in a country to be tax resident. Do you have assets? For example a car/house that you can make use of? That can qualify you.

Re: Tax Resident Definition 2019/3/5 19:22
I may be wrong on this - but doesn't it also depend upon where you live and for how long?
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tax Resident Definition 2019/3/6 10:00
One of those "it depends", and usually the the marker is 183 days out of any 365 day period.

There are additional rules for some of the longer-duration stays. For example, Japan has a bunch of rules that kick-in after five years.

reply to this thread