Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Rikon Shoumeishou (Divorce certificate) query 2019/3/8 17:34
So I was wondering if myself, a foreigner, can walk into Shibuya cityhall and request an original copy of my rikon Shoumeishou. My ex wife registered it there after we split.

She said that because I am not Japanese and I donft have a koseki I am not able to do this however I would like a second opinion lol.

Our marriage was registered at Takarazuka cityhall but she moved to Tokyo for work hence she had to go to her local cityhall there to register our divorce.

I would ask her to get it for me but at the time Ifll need it she wonft be in the country so yea. And therefs the 3 month validity issue so I need one thatfs recent and not old.

My friend did ask kobe cityhall and they were ok with foreigners showing up with a passport but then again I heard rules are different at different city halls in Japan.

Please let me know your thoughts. Ifd like to ask here first before annoying another friend to call Shibuya city hall to ask them.

Thank you.

jr.
by Junior (guest)  

Re: Rikon Shoumeishou (Divorce certificate) query 2019/3/9 09:24
Based on related experience (marriage registration forms lodged at Minato city hall), but not specific to divorce papers, if you are one of the named people on the certificate you should be able to request a copy of something related to yourself.
A side question, while she registered the docs at city-hall, did you go through the courts at any stage? Reason for asking is that my divorce is not registered at any city hall, but is at the family court (different process/situation to yourself).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Rikon Shoumeishou (Divorce certificate) query 2019/3/9 11:47
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rikon Shoumeishou (Divorce certificate) query 2019/3/9 15:40
Japancustomtours - nope it was mutual so I just left Japan after signing the rikontodoke and she registered it herself. No kids. No assets. No hassle mate lol

Ken - sorry canft read Japanese bro. Can someone translate please?

Jnr.
by Junior (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rikon Shoumeishou (Divorce certificate) query 2019/3/10 08:56
@Junior - I had a slightly different process to comply with home-country legal requirements and some extra hoops locally here in Japan, but still mostly straight-forward. Just needed to find time to get it done. Also, no dramas.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread