Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Resident Tax Question 2019/3/19 22:34
I have another anxiety filled worry.

Once I post this I`m done asking these questions. Every time I leave Japan, I leave feeling like I did everything I had to do, and confident about that. However the more time that passes the more I start to think gwhat ifch. What if my paperwork fell through the cracks, what if I went to the wrong desk at the ward office and asked the wrong question. I was even worried about giving my Zairyuu up at the airport, he punched a hole in it and just gave it back as a souvenir. My last question is about resident taxes.

I am a US Citizen. The city I moved into in November 2016 did not have a ward office, only a city hall that I registered at. It is Kasugai City. I started working in November but I didn`t receive payment until January, since I was paid for every previous month. (Nov-Dec work was paid in Jan)
End of November 2016 to June 2017 I lived in Kasugai because later I decided to stop working at that job. Then from the end of June 2017 to Mid Sept 2017 I was in Kyoto. I did my moving out paper work at Kasugai city hall and then my moving in paper work at the ward office in Kyoto. I also notified immigration of my new status and address within 14 days.

Before I left Japan for the US in Sept 2017, at my Kyoto Ward office I filled out another moving out notification. I made sure to ask Nenkin, and insurance if there was anything else I had to pay, and made sure they knew I was moving out of the country, they said no.

I went up to the tax desk at both Kasugai and Kyoto about taxes. When I left Kasugai they said I donft have anything to pay. When I left Kyoto I must have asked 3 times and the guy could sense how worried I was, he called Kasugai and asked if I owed any tax and I was going to leave for the US, the man on the phone said no to him. Then he handed me the phone and told me to ask myself, the guy on the phone told me I donft need to do anything. Then I said so theres nothing I have to pay at all? Really? He said no, nothing!

Now that I`m getting ready to go back as a tourist and I feel so nervous, like maybe I did something wrong. I never got any paper work about Taxes, never got any bills, never got a paper saying I didnft have to pay either. At the time I just trusted what City hall and the ward office told me because they should know more than anyone who should be paying resident taxes to them, but now I feel like maybe I should have asked more questions or received paper work..

I read that if you live in Japan for less than one calendar year, you donft owe inhabitant taxes. Is this true? I lived there from Nov 2016 to Sept 2017 and I never got a bill for my time in Japan from Nov-Dec 2016, or even 2016 as a whole. Is this because it was too short a time or small amount to be taxable? I never got any tax bills at any period of time at neither of my addresses. I checked my check from work but it says income tax deducted and the resident tax is blank, so they werenft paying it.

This probably seems very after the fact, but as time passes I just feel worried if I did everything right, even though at the time I was just as worried and I followed all the rules.

I am going back as a tourist with someone who has never been, its really hard for them to get vacation time, and I just want to make sure if there is anything I can do, to do it so we can enter with no problems and enjoy the trip.

Why do you think I was not asked to pay?

Thank you
by yaxeka  

Re: Resident Tax Question 2019/3/20 15:21
Why do you think I was not asked to pay?
Because they checked and saw that you werenft due payment of any taxes.

Just relax. A lot.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread