Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

5 Night Kyoto (Last Trip) 2019/3/22 22:51
Hi All,

At present, I'm currently working on a rough plan for 5 full days in Kyoto to see some more of the more less seen sites so I can complete my main sojourn of Japan. I've already spent probably 2-3 weeks in Kyoto so have seen many of the main sites. I just wanted to get some basic feedback on these days and it should be noted that a lot of these ideas were inspired by Ken, Likebike and rkold who are members of the forum who gave me some ideas. I also travel at a quick pace, can find my way around Japan more easily than most but am willing to be flexible enough to let all plans go out the window if things change (such as weather or I enjoy something more than expected and want to spend more time there).

Day 1 (morning with car in Otsu - I would have driven around Lake Biwa and covered other sites in Otsu before this. I'm travelling from the West of Lake Biwako)
Miho Museum
Ishiyama-dera
(get train to hotel - below temples are within 5 minute walk of hotel)
Kenniji Temple
Yasui Shrine
Entoku-in Temple
Kodaiji Temple

Day 2 (Kurama to Kifune)
Rengeji Temple
Jisso-in Temple
Yuji-Jingu Shrine
Kuramadera Temple
Kifune Shrine

Day 3 (moving towards Takao)
Jingoji Temple
Saimyoji Temple
Kosanji Temple

Houkongou-in Temple
Toei Studio (I'm not sure if I should visit this - I like tacky but am not a real fan of kids rides)
Koryu-ji Temple

Day 4
Katsura Imperial Villa (will book a couple of months online in advance - can swap days or cancel if closed for New Years Holidays)
Jojuji Temple
Jozo-in Temple
Kegonji Temple
Matsunoo-Taisha Shrine
Umenomiya Shrine

Day 5
Yoshiminedera Temple
Komyoji Temple
Nagaoka Tenmangu Shrine
Nagaoka Castle
Igenoyama Tumulus
by mfedley  

Re: 5 Night Kyoto (Last Trip) 2019/3/23 16:08
Thank you for this list. I will draw suggestions from it for sure for my upcoming business trip in April to Osaka. Although next weekend it is off to some main attractions of Kyoto with some EU colleagues visiting for the first time.

Just two questions on your itinerary:
- do you plan to also do the hike between Kurama and Kibune?
- And have you the onsen in Kurama on your list?

Enjoy!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 5 Night Kyoto (Last Trip) 2019/3/23 18:12
Hi Likebike - the answers to your questions are (1) Yes and (2) Not sure yet - but an onsen after a walk is strongly possible....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: 5 Night Kyoto (Last Trip) 2019/3/23 20:19
To me, the great thing about Kyoto is that there is such richness in the so-called secondary sites (those not on the "top ten" lists). I have had such exquisite moments at many of these "lesser-known" places. It is kind of a kick to see an ambitious five-day Kyoto itinerary that doesn't include Kiyomizudera, Fushimi Inari Jinja, and the "bamboo forest" in Arashiyama! At the same time, I am incredibly grateful for the tourist magnet sites and the fact that essentially all of the foreign tourists feel strongly compelled to visit them. It leaves countless other magical places for the rest of us to enjoy in peace and quiet. So much profound beauty in Kyoto...

I'm sorry if this is your last trip to Japan. I have enjoyed your excellent trip reports and informative forum posts over the years. Regarding your Kyoto itinerary I will say that if a first-time traveler were attempting to visit the same number of places in Kyoto (doubtless their list would be different), I would secretly roll my eyes and wish them luck, but you know what you are doing and will surely have a fabulous time. If it were my last trip I would do a "reprise" and revisit places that have moved me most over the years (skipping the ones that have become grossly overcrowded, but that still leaves a very long list). But the benefit of going to Japan repeatedly is that you get really good at doing it, and you learn what works best for you personally. You obviously have the spirit of an explorer, who likes to go to places you have never seen before!

The only thing I might mention as a practical note is that the bus to Yoshiminedera stops fairly far from it during the midwinter (which is when you are going, if I am not mistaken). So don't base your planning on bus schedules for spring or summer. Probably you already know this. I'm glad you are planning to go there. I really love Yoshiminedera, and I pray that it never gets on any top ten lists. (Fortunately, this is not likely, given its profile and the fact that it is a bit out of the way.) Do allow plenty of time there; it is rather spacious and well worth taking the time for a leisurely visit. And I believe the first bus is none too early, so you might think carefully about the best timing and way to get there. (Possibly not the bus, but I have no other suggestions other than cab, if you have already ditched your car.)
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 5 Night Kyoto (Last Trip) 2019/3/23 20:53
Thanks from the info Kim. The trick I've found to visiting lots of sites is having them all within walking distance - or at least within a few stops of train stations. The time I'll be visiting will also be the off-season which means that crowds should also be at a minimum.

From what I have read about Yoshiminodera - the bus stops in early January but I need to do some extra research on this. And as it is Kyoto - I WILL NOT have a car and will drop it off at Otsu due to the traffic in Kyoto.

This is my last planned trip to Japan - as I've basically run out of places that "I MUST VISIT". Thankfully - it's not the end of my travels. For example, I visit Vietnam for a week next week. This is followed by Poland/North Spain in Summer, Malaysia/Thailand for 2 weeks in Summer and Australia in October (I'm an international teacher) along with weekends away from Singapore every couple of weeks.

I'm also happy to hear that another person also likes the secondary sites - just like I enjoy secondary cities. To give people an idea of how much I can do in a day - here is my most ambitious day in Japan. I honestly started at 7AM and got back to my hotel at 10PM - but what a day!!!

https://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-1375
https://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-1376
https://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-1374

Any other comments about my first post is much appreciated.

Re: 5 Night Kyoto (Last Trip) 2019/3/23 23:11
I went during Hydrangea season where Yoshimine-dera truly shines, but I think it's become my favorite temple in Kyoto now. I loved Katsura and would go back but my child is too young. We're planning try Yokokuji this year because we're there during their hydrangea festival.

In terms of the popular temples and shrines, we tend to try to visit one per trip, so my daughter can see them since I've been already, though honestly I've yet to see the appeal of the bamboo forest in Arashiyama since there are plenty of other bamboo forests in Japan. But even crowded temples like Kiyomizudera can still have quieter places. While it was 9:00 am, my daughter and I were the only people who went underground at Zuigudo Hall, while the rest of the precincts were full of people. But I admit, spending time on this board it feels like the same places in Kyoto show up again and again and I always think it's weird when people want to "escape the crowds" and then want to visit the same tourist sights everyone wants to visit to "escape the crowds."

I've been to Toei. It was a long long time ago. I've thought about going back with my child since I hear there is more English now. I'm not going to lie, it's extremely cheezy and I have seen school groups of Japanese children visit. But at least when I was there, there were no physical rides. It's mostly shows and dressing up. It looks like they've added a bunch of ninja activities since I've gone, but they're still not rides per se. This is not a park like USJ, Disney, and Spain Mura. I expect it's more along the lines of Edo Wonderland near Nikko (Though I've not been.) I like theme parks like USJ and Disney too, and we'd be going to Spainmura this trip if my kid made the height line and age requirement to ride the good coaster, but Toei is not that sort of park.

Good luck! I think your trip is going to be a lot of fun.

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: 5 Night Kyoto (Last Trip) 2019/3/23 23:20
Regarding Yoshiminedera, yes the bus doesnft run in January and February. I donft remember exactly when you go... to check when it stops.

I went in bicycle and saw the last bus stop, frankly shortly afterwards it got way too steep for me so I had to push up the bicycle nearly all the way. So the walk is doable. Some cars passed me and I am sure that if I hadnft had a bicycle and wanted to hitchhike up that would have been a possibility at least for a solo traveler. Otherwise the way up is actually quite nice through some small settlements. If you like hiking you could actually search if there is a hiking trail somewhere to get up there (eg try to find that regions hiking map). The hike should be extremely nice as it goes through bamboo groves, for which that area is apparently famous. But no tourists :-)
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 5 Night Kyoto (Last Trip) 2019/3/25 10:16
Thanks for the info Likebike and rkold.

I'm travelling in late December (30th I think) to Yoshiminodera which means hopefully the bus still runs then.

After your information on the Toei Studio - I might give it a miss. Now to find something else to do in the area (I do see a Suntory Malts Factory in the area....). Any other suggestions on things to do around Houkongou-in Temple or Koryu-ji Temple would be much appreciated....

Re: 5 Night Kyoto (Last Trip) 2019/4/3 00:31
Hopeful bump with a wish for Ken to see this thread....

Also updated Day 3 but might be too much...

Jingoji Temple
Saimyoji Temple
Kosanji Temple

Shugakuin Villa
Manshu-in Temple
Enkoji
Shisendo

Re: 5 Night Kyoto (Last Trip) 2019/4/3 11:00
There is a temple called Sekizan-zenin juxt next to Shugakuin.
It is the base of the 1000 day's discipline where you can feel genuine faith for Buddism.
by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Re: 5 Night Kyoto (Last Trip) 2019/4/6 21:34
Did you already visit the area around Yamashina station and Daigo station?

It would seem to make a perfect day for you within your plans of 1 smaller area but that one in depth.

I went today... but was too late for Daigoji temple... https://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2019/04/from-osaka-to-daigoji-...

... so will go again tomorrow and start there. If you are interested in that area let me know and I can report back tomorrow what I found interesting.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 5 Night Kyoto (Last Trip) 2019/4/7 21:31
Hi Likebike,

I hoped you enjoyed Daigoji. It's a bit in the middle of no-where which is sometimes a good thing. One of the buildings had one of the best gardens in Kyoto (no photos) and the main grounds are quite large and pretty.

https://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-1079

Like normal - this is a place I've already visited but I would skip the museum unless that's your thing.

For Biwakoman - what specifically is important about Sekizan-zenin? I'm asking from a question of ignorance

Re: 5 Night Kyoto (Last Trip) 2019/4/7 22:22
—mfedley, Yes, I enjoyed Daigoji and the entire day enormously. And I skipped that museum as well. Just wasn't in the mood of museum after so much Hanami.

https://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2019/04/hanami-at-kyoto-temple...

I managed to combine Daigoji with 2 other temples (Bishamon-do, close to Yamashina station and Kaijuji, equally in the middle of nothing, but easily reachable by bicycle). All 3 were special spots for Hanami today, but must be marvelous with koyo as well.

Actually I still have a "to-do" list for that area, which will take me another day likely, with Fushimi castle (I only saw it from far away, per Google it is newly build and not well maintained, but it still looks like a nice photogenic spot, potentially), closeby the mausoleum of the Meiji emperor and over to Uji the Mampukuji. Close by the mausoleum I also stumbled across an example of modern architecture. A very successful day indeed.

For your trip to Kyoto, have you considered going to Fushimi Inari for Hatsumode? I think you will be staying in the first days of the New Year, right? I went a few years back those days, and absolutely loved the atmosphere. It is crowded, VERY crowded, but it is a spectacular sight to see all these Japanese businessmen visiting the shrine, making their offerings to the shrine & the shrine girls and exhibiting in a shrine building their produce. From more traditional offerings such as beer and sake, to offerings such as Kleenex tissues. Everyone offering what they produce. I'd say a unique sight into Japanese culture.

Re: 5 Night Kyoto (Last Trip) 2019/4/8 21:36
Apart from the main temple at Uji - I did not find a lot to see really close to Uji. However, two of my favorite temples which would be a great bike ride like you mentioned is Mimurotoji Temple (30 mins walk from Uji) which is best in Summer and Manpukuji which is somewhere you mentioned which is on your 'to do list'.

https://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-1075

I really liked your suggestion about the Fushimi Inari Shrine, but I'll unfortunately be at Yakushima from the 31/12 to 4/1 which will be a huge change from spending 5 nights in busy Kyoto. The comment on watching the offering is the small cultural things which I really enjoy - and don't find going to most shrines on New Years a big problem as I don't have to wait in the line for prayers....

People do rave about Hanami in Japan, but honestly I think it's pretty average compared to koyo in Japan. There are only so many yoshino trees you can stare at until they start to all blur together. I did really enjoy the Okinawa Feb variety a couple of years ago though....

I hope you continue to enjoy your bike rides around Japan. My bike rides are mainly to transport when I don't have a car which has actually been some of my more enjoyable days in Japan.....

Re: 5 Night Kyoto (Last Trip) 2019/4/9 12:20
I appreciate the thoughts and invite, though I've thrown the kitchen sink of lists at you and really don't have too much more to add. If you are still looking for more, I've found that a lot of people either don't know about or often overlook places in the northeast, past the Shugakuin Villa...you already mention Rengeji, but there is also Sudo Jinja, etc.
Also, I suggest you consider Toei Eigamura, or some other place at least to break up the monotony of temples and shrines, and temples and shrines, and more temples and shrines... It's what Kyoto does best, but adding some variety keeps things fresh.
I agree that Kyoto is getting more and more overrun with tourists; if you have to quit, now might be the time. There are lesser known great places, but I think they too are going to get swamped pretty soon, the way things are going.
If you really want to get away from it all, there are a few places like in Kameoka, the Heiwadai Park - lots of little walking trails with small shrines and temples here and there...nothing earth shattering but quite relaxing. Or even the hills behind Nara Park have some quiet walking roads and few ever try them out.
Hope it all goes well for you.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 5 Night Kyoto (Last Trip) 2019/4/9 13:57
Thanks for the info Ken. I was more after your opinion on the choices made than new stuff. You did throw the kitchen sink at me and I've tried to add things which I've not visited (yet!) and are within a possible general travel distance in 5 days. I think I'm currently over ambitious but thankfully I'll be off to Yakushima for 4 nights after Kyoto so this will be mu last major Japanese temple run ever....

Re: 5 Night Kyoto (Last Trip) 2019/4/10 04:01
Well, I looked through the itinerary and I think it looks very promising. I myself don't care for seeing any kofun or tumulus, but maybe that's more of your interest, and I know you understandably don't want to spend a lot of time in transit.
If you haven't seen Murin-an yet, it is absolutely magnificent, and still mostly undiscovered.
https://youtu.be/OF1E7gGfv5U
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 5 Night Kyoto (Last Trip) 2019/4/10 20:43
Hmmmm Ken,

The garden seems to be around quite a few museums which would be a good break from so many temples if I get sick of them or the weather is not too good for a day. It looks as though you have just given me a half day trip as a backup or a quick hour trip if I'm running early on a specific day (it's close to my hotel)....

Re: 5 Night Kyoto (Last Trip) 2019/4/21 00:53
If you are going after the 15/Dec, I have bad news for you: Miho Museum will be closed: http://www.miho.or.jp/en/calendar/

I went today, and it would be a real pity if you can't visit. It is a STUNNING place.

https://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2019/04/miho-museum-perfect-da...

I was even lucky to get some more hanami with weeping cherry trees on the ramp up to the museum. So I now got 4 weeks in a row of hanami all in Kansai.
But the hanami is only the peak of the iceberg, the museum itself is stunning. The architecture, the setting... It has a stable exhibition, which I didn't even go to visit (so I have a reason to come back), and it had now a very interesting and well made exhibition about zen buddhistic art in Kyoto region.

Re: 5 Night Kyoto (Last Trip) 2019/4/21 13:32
Thanks for the info. When I last checked, they did not have December times up as it was too early. I'll check again closer to the date in a couple of months. I am planning on visiting Shiga Prefecture for a couple of days, with the Miho Museum being one of my sites.

reply to this thread