Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Freelance, visa & taxes 2019/3/23 23:38
Hi!

I live in Japan on a visa with status dependent. A foreign company hires me as a freelancer. Do I need to get a work permit with dependent visa? Do I need to pay taxes and if so, what percentage?

Thanks!
by Amat3rasu  

Re: Freelance, visa & taxes 2019/3/24 10:28
https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+153547

Read, specially the last two comments.
Note:
Effective January 1, 2018
Tax purpose dependent income cap: increase from JPY 1,030,000 to JPY 1,500,000

Normally those on Dependent will need to apply special permit
"Permission to Engage in an Activity Other Than That Permitted by the Status of Residence"
in order to work, 28hrs per week.

Taxes wise, it depends on you and your spouse income/tax whether you are included as your spouse tax dependent.

But then again, freelance for overseas, whether income will be deposit in Japan ...
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Freelance, visa & taxes 2019/3/24 18:17
@

"Permission to Engage in an Activity Other Than That Permitted by the Status of Residence"

only needed if you work for a company that has a representative office in Japan or that works in Japan?
by Amat3rasu rate this post as useful

Re: Freelance, visa & taxes 2019/3/25 10:00
Working overseas (overseas company, even if in japan) you should not need to change status. Get proper legal advice if you are unsure - some immigration lawyers give a first consult free so you should be able to get an answer pretty easily (although some are better than others).
Taxes - you are living in Japan so most likely tax resident in Japan. See an accountant if in doubt regarding your disclosure/reporting/payment obligations. The rules/law around that is a bit tricky. Also, depending where the company you are working for is based, you may have tax obligations in that other country as well.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Freelance, visa & taxes 2019/3/25 10:06
the limitation is 380000 yen for freelance work, if you don't want to pay tax.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread