Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Change of Status of Residence period 2019/4/4 00:03
So I plan to change my tourist visa to a spouse visa via the Change of Status of Residence route (we will marry in Japan). I've read that during this period, Immigration puts a note or a sticker/stamp on your passport stating that my change of visa is pending further investigation or something like that, correct me if I'm wrong please.

A few questions:

- Can I actively look for a job/go for interviews during this period?
- Can I leave Japan for a weekend trip to South Korea w/ my soon to be wifey during this period?

I was planning to just buy a one way ticket to Japan, then a return ticket to South Korea for the weekend trip to show that I'm "leaving Japan" since i'll be coming in on a tourist visa initially. However, I guess this won't work will it? Anybody please confirm or advise.

Also, on the immigration card you get on the plane where it says "reason for coming to Japan", should I write down:

A) Visit Fiancé OR
B) Visit Fiancé and marry her

I heard I shouldn't mention that i'll get married since immigration will start asking questions.

Any useful advise or experiences are appreciated.

Thankz

V
by V4Viktory (guest)  

Re: Change of Status of Residence period 2019/4/4 11:50
1. Yes

2. Probably not. As a TV you are not eligible for the "special re-entry permit" system, so you would need an ordinary re-entry permit, and it is unlikely to be granted.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change of Status of Residence period 2019/4/4 12:50
Would you care to elaborate on your number 2 answer? Ifm not getting it completely sorry.

And whatfs a TV? Not the home appliance kind I suspect.

If I get a pending stamp or sticker in my passport during this time Ifm not suppose to leave the country right? While they process my change of status application.

V
by V (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change of Status of Residence period 2019/4/4 13:08
If you want to leave Japan temporarily while keeping your current status, you need a re-entry permit. Re-entry permits are not normally granted to people on "Temporary Visitor" (TV) status.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change of Status of Residence period 2019/4/4 15:37
Thanks for that clarification. So I guess Ifll postpone that Korea trip until I get the spouse visa.
by V (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread