Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Change of status or COE? 2019/4/4 23:15

Re: Change of Status Visa Inquiry 2019/4/4 03:16
Can you change your status of residence if your wife does not work in Japan but is Japanese? Her mother (Japanese, working in Japan) was going to file for the COE on our behalf. I need to know if it is uneccesary and I should just go on a visitors visa and file for a change of status of residence. We have been married for almost 2 years and have a son. We all live together in Ghana and want to emigrate to Japan. I need to know if we can use her mother for the guarantor and tax aspect. ( if that is even necessary with change of status of residence). Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you
by GHJPN (guest)  

Re: Change of status or COE? 2019/4/8 05:12
Anyone??
by GHJPN (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change of status or COE? 2019/4/8 09:11
Call the embassy and ask them.
by Murny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change of status or COE? 2019/4/8 09:41
What type of visa do you have at this moment.
Because you talk already about change of resident. Are you going to apply permanent resident?
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Change of status or COE? 2019/4/8 10:38
Are you a Ghana citizen?
If you are, you will need to apply for a temporary visitor visa ahead of your visit even just to visit short-term and sightsee Japan. Then I would say it is better to apply for spouse of Japanese national visa through CoE.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Change of status or COE? 2019/4/8 18:45
My son and I are both Ghanaian citizens, the Japanese embassy in Ghana does not give spouse visa even if you have COE. And my main question is if I need the tax receipts of my wife who does not live in Japan at the moment, or we can use her motherfs tax receipts. Do we even need those documents for change of status of residence??

Re: Change of status or COE? 2019/4/8 21:03
Different procedure, almost same necessary documentation.
Spouse of Japanese national,
basically you will need proof to show your marriage, and since your spouse doesn't reside/don't have domicile in Japan, won't be able to provide some of the required documents. Also cannot provide proof of income in Japan, thus cannot be your sponsor/guarantor.

You will need someone such as your mother-in-law as your sponsor/guarantor, which she will need proof of income, and provide her tax form. She will also required to provide others forms as well.

Change of Status
English
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/02.html
Japanese
http://www.moj.go.jp/ONLINE/IMMIGRATION/16-2.html

Best to contact directly the immigration office where you plan to do your change of status.
Get list of documents required from them.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change of status or COE? 2019/4/9 05:13
Thank you very much for the useful information. I find that the documents required for change of status is not very from the COE. God willing I will go to Japan on a temporary visa and then apply for the change of status to spouse.

Re: Change of status or COE? 2019/4/9 12:40
Just you know that coming from a 3rd world country, you may have difficult getting your change of status application accepted. Especially coming to Japan on Temporary/Visitor visa.
The immigration may ask you to go the COE-Visa route as that is the normal/standard procedure.

You mentioned Japanese embassy in Ghana won't issue Spouse Visa? Why?

Re: Change of status or COE? 2019/4/9 16:20
The japannese embassy in Ghana only issues a 3 month temporary visa, that is the only visa they are allowed to issue. We have asked at the embassy several times.

Maybe I should have my mother-in-law find out from the Immigration Bureau which route to take.

Is there any particular reason you think it might be difficult to get the change of status because Ifm from a 3rd world country?

My marriage is registered in Japan, I am in the Koseki Tohon and we have all the documents and evidence to prove that our marriage is indeed a real one including a child.

Re: Change of status or COE? 2019/4/9 16:56
You can apply for COE outside Japan and you need to wait for approval.
Once approved you can come to Japan and collect your visa

You come to Japan on tourist visa apply for spouse visa and you can wait till you are approved. Inform immigration you come with tourist visa

Nobody can inform you if you will be excepted or fail.

by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Change of status or COE? 2019/4/9 22:17
The japannese embassy in Ghana only issues a 3 month temporary visa, that is the only visa they are allowed to issue. We have asked at the embassy several times.
Ohh, tough luck then.

It is well known that immigration from developed countries tend to be more strict when dealing with citizen from 3rd world countries.

Best to contact directly the immigration office where you plan to do your change of status.
Get your documents in order and hope for the best.

Good luck on your change of status application, if you plan on that route.

reply to this thread