Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How can I live in Japan self employed? 2019/4/20 20:32
I'm English, my wife is Japanese. We married in the UK. We currently live in England. She has an indefinite leave to remain visa. We have just had a baby. We are considering moving to Japan. However this seems impossible as I am self employed. I work mainly from home. Does anyone have advice on how I can get a visa to live in Japan? My wage would be considered decent in UK & Japan. My wife doesn't currently work.
by Joe (guest)  

Re: How can I live in Japan self employed? 2019/4/21 11:00
You would just get a spouse visa? Which allows you to do any work.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can I live in Japan self employed? 2019/4/21 12:16
I assume you are working from home to do some online work, and are getting paid by an entity (or clients) in your country.

In your case, since your wife is Japanese, you can apply for gspouse of Japanese nationalh visa to come live with your wife in Japan. There is no restriction on the kind of work you can take up.

Tax will be an issue in the future:
https://www.nta.go.jp/english/taxes/individual/pdf/a-4.pdf

After living in Japan for some time, there will come a time when (1) the portion of your non-Japanese income that is brought/remitted to Japan will be taxable, and eventually (2) all your non-Japanese income will be taxable.

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: How can I live in Japan self employed? 2019/4/21 12:59
Isnft the problem that as OPs wife doesnft work (and presumably wonft in Japan either) that he needs a gurantator other than his wife to get the initial visa?

Maybe some relative of your wife could be that guarantator?
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread