Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

tokyo where to stay, too much? 2019/7/2 10:12
Hi. I have posted a few times and getting closer to having the plan down largely thanks to this group! I am having a very hard time getting my plans for Tokyo. We are arriving Oct 4th at Narita at 2:30 and leaving Oct 8th for the Alps (3 nights) and then Kyoto (4 nights) maybe Osaka (1 night), Koya San (1 night), Hiroshima/Miyajima (2 nights) and back to Tokyo Oct 19th-21st because we are attending the Moto GP race Oct 20th in Motegi.

So Tokyo-we had planned to stay in Asakusa at the Premier Richmond Hotel (well reviewed and lots of good comments on a previous post here). I liked the idea of seeing Senso-ji in the morning and at night without lots of tourists, and also being near the Skytree. Now I am second guessing if a hotel in Ginza or Shinjuku wouldn't be better because of the transportation connections and because we are staying 4 or 5 nights in Kyoto and will get the more "traditional" vibe there.
Here is VERY roughly what we want to do. I would appreciate advice on -where to stay that makes sense? Are we trying to cram too much in?

Oct 4th-Arrive 2:30 pm
If we are staying in Asakusa-check in, wander a bit, Senso-Ji at night-dinner-maybe sky tree if not too tired
Senso-ji
Oct 5th (Sat)–Sushi making workshop in Tsukiji Market (90 minutes not sure exact time -I think 10:00 am -includes lunch )
walk through Ginza -bit of shopping
Fire Ceremony –Fukagawa-Fudo-do ( 3:00 pm or 5 pm)
Nezu jinja (we want to fit this in but it's quite far out.....maybe in the morning if we are up early one day-might be too much for today
Dinner in Asakusa area or maybe Roppongi (want to eat at Kill Bill Restaurant) or Sky Tree if we didn't make it night before
Oct 6th-Tokyo (Sunday)
Tokyo Government Building, Shopping , Department store looking
Browse Harajuku
3:30 (backstreetguides night tour-starts in Harajuku)
https://thebackstreetguides.com/night-out-tokyo/#night_tour_detail
Oct 7th –maybe day trip to Mount weather dependent OR if we still want more city explore what we feel we want more of...

Appreciate the thoughts -sorry for long post
by Jac44  

Re: tokyo where to stay, too much? 2019/7/2 13:35
Shinjuku is not a very pleasant place to stay, in my opinion (stayed at the Hyatt there for a week several years ago). Not sure about Ginza.

Shibuya is a bit nicer - a bit livelier, with good access to transport. We stayed at Dormy Inn Premium there a few times up to 4 years ago which was very nice.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: tokyo where to stay, too much? 2019/7/2 14:42
I love Yanaka. You can stay close to Nishi-Nippori or Nippori for easy Yamanote line access and it is a delightful, peaceful area of Tokyo. It puts you right near Nezu Shrine too.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: tokyo where to stay, too much? 2019/7/2 15:43
I do not see a strong reason to change your choice of hotel. For day 1&2 Asakusa will be comfortable. For the day in Shinjuku itfs not so bad either. Tokyo is a big city but with a good railway and subway network.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: tokyo where to stay, too much? 2019/7/3 00:15
thank you so much for your reply. Yes I think I am second guessing myself.
by Jac44 rate this post as useful

Re: tokyo where to stay, too much? 2019/7/3 06:29
If youfre concerned that Asakusa will be too much of a traditional vibe since youfre also going to Kyoto, let me reassure you that theyfre not very alike.

And you do have to walk a bit to get to train stations from Asakusa, but theyfre not too far (5 or 10 minutes on foot) and youfre actually surrounded by three or four different lines, so there is some convenience there despite not being a major hub.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: tokyo where to stay, too much? 2019/7/5 10:37
thank you everyone for your replies. We did decide to go for Asakusa at the Richmond Premier.
by Jac44 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread