Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Staying overnight on the Shimanami Kaido 2019/7/3 17:27
Hi, we're doing the the Shimanami Kaido from Ominichi to Imabari 2 days 1 night and I'm considering the Salt House for the overnight stay (eastern part of Hakata island). If we want to start early morning and take our time for some sight seeing on the first day, will we reach it before dark or is it too far? Thanks
by Tomer (guest)  

Re: Staying overnight on the Shimanami Kaido 2019/7/3 21:05
Well this depends on how many km/day you feel comfortable to do PLUS sightseeing, how much sightseeing you are doing and in which season of the year youfll be riding.
There are apps out there for sunset times.
Km/day youfll need to estimate on you normal experience. The roads are easy to find. So you shouldnft get lost. Km/day also depend on the type of bicycle you are using. There are the mamachari type ones and the race bike ones from Giant. Very different average speed you can make on them.

Then it depends on your sightseeing and if you take any detours.

I also did Shomanami Kaido in 2 days it stayed in Omishima. I didnft have an early start and had relaxed sightseeing and did the half loop of Omishima before checking in.

Overall I enjoyed more the first day of the ride than the second. (Coming from Onomichi) On the first day also the main road is very nice. However on Hakata and Oshimura if I would go again, I would try the secondary route along the coast instead of the one that goes centrally through those islands. Ie i would take the detour.

Here my experience:
http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2017/11/part-10-day-48-49-ridin...

Long story short , I think it is possible but you need to evaluate yourself.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Staying overnight on the Shimanami Kaido 2019/7/4 00:54
I was a 60 years old healthy but not physically strong man when I did Shimanami Kaido cycling a few years ago.
I rented a mamachari-type bicycle and left Onomichi at 8:35, took a lunch break and arrived at Hakata island at 13:10.
In the afternoon, I had so heavy muscle ache that I had to walk at the uphill in Ohshima and at Kurushima straight bridge. But I arrived at Imabari station before 17:00 on the same day, after visiting Nanko Bo Temple.
This is just an example on a fine and windless day in December.

Salt House is not far from the main route. So, two day tour is not difficult at all for average cyclists.
But of course, it depends on your schedule, physical condition and the weather of the day.

Note that there are ups and downs.
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/image/search;_ylt=A2RimVMGwBxdNXgA9iCU3uV7?p=%E3%81%97%E3%81%BE%E3%81%AA%E3%81%BF%E6%B5%B7%E9%81%93+%E3%82%A2%E3%83%83%E3%83%97%E3%83%80%E3%82%A6%E3%83%B3japan&aq=-1&oq=&ei=UTF-8#mode%3Ddetail%26index%3D0%26st%3D0

by Chibanian rate this post as useful

reply to this thread