Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Itinerary advice (3 weeks) 2019/7/8 15:13
Hello,

We are planning a 3 week trip to Japan in mid-September to early October and are looking for some advice on our itinerary. We are a well-traveled backpacking couple in our mid-30s and it will be our first trip to Japan. In particular, I am wondering if we should bother with a stop-over in Hakone en-route to Kyoto, OR if we would be better-off adding an additional day to one of the cities we are already visiting? My concerns with Hakone, is that it may be overly crowded and touristy, especially since the day we would be visiting falls on a long weekend.

If we skip Hakone is it worth doing a night in the Izo Peninsula instead? or would it be better-off to add a day to our itinerary somewhere else? Perhaps an extra night in Kyoto/ Osaka / Kanazawa?

Day 1 Arrive this evening
Day 2 Tokyo
Day 3 Tokyo
Day 4 Disney
Day 5 Tokyo
Day 6 Tokyo to Yokohama (for Rugby World Cup)
Day 7 Yokahama (morning to Kamakura, Daibutsu Hiking Trail) Rugby game tonight
Day 8 ?Possible day in Hakone or Izu Peninsula??? (public holiday)
Day 9 To Kyoto
Day 10 Day trip to Nara (Uneme festival)
Day 11 Kyoto
Day 12 Kyoto
Day 13 Koyasan
Day 14 Osaka
Day 15 Kanazawa
Day 16 Pick up car: Explore, Shirawakago and other Unesco villages (night in Takayama)
Day 17 Takayama
Day 18 Shirashone and Okuhida Onsen
Day 19 Kamikochi (overnight in Matsumoto)
Day 20 Drive to Matsumto then train to Tokyo
Day 21 Fly out

Thanks so much for your help!
by Christine (guest)  

Re: Japan Itinerary advice (3 weeks) 2019/7/8 17:24
More rugby fans!

You're travelling quite far and quite fast from day 14 on, with not much time to take in what you're seeing. I'd be tempted to select one of Kanazawa or Takayama/World Heritage, and perhaps drop something in the run-up to Matsumoto. Are you planning to take the Chuo line from Matsumoto to Shinjuku? We've done that and I think it's quite good.

Have a wonderful time in Japan.

by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Itinerary advice (3 weeks) 2019/7/8 19:04
Day 6 Tokyo to Yokohama (for Rugby World Cup)
Day 7 Yokahama (morning to Kamakura, Daibutsu Hiking Trail) Rugby game tonight

Yokohama and Tokyo are really close to each other. In my eyes, there is no need to change hotels, if you select your Tokyo hotel wisely. Just reduces one complication from your trip. I am also assuming that you do more on Day 6 than just going to Yokohama. I mean there is a lot of sightseeing you can do in Yokoyama itself.

Day 8 ?Possible day in Hakone or Izu Peninsula??? (public holiday)

If you can make it to Shuzenji, that might be nice. I personally do like Hakone because of the many different transports, but it gets pricy and it is a totally touristy place. But this can have some attraction. If you are put off by that Shuzenji might be better. I would maybe even look at moving there directly after the game in Yokohama, if it finishes early enough. Or alternatively you could skip this entirely and add the extra day e.g. around Matsumoto.

Day 15 Kanazawa
Day 16 Pick up car: Explore, Shirawakago and other Unesco villages (night in Takayama)

If you can add an additionaly day here, you could go an explore the Noto peninsula. Very nice and not so touristy. But you need a car. Also I would totally skip Shirakawa-go and go to Ainokura only. You have a car, so take advantage of that.

Day 17 Takayama
Day 18 Shirashone and Okuhida Onsen
Day 19 Kamikochi (overnight in Matsumoto)
Day 20 Drive to Matsumto then train to Tokyo

Where are you sleeping on the 19th? Matsumoto? Kamikochi?

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Itinerary advice (3 weeks) 2019/7/8 19:58
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

We'll definitely take your advice LikeBilke regarding accommodation in Tokyo/Yokahama and will prioritize Ainokura over Shirakawa-go.

However, now I'm torn torn about what to do with our one extra day? Should we spend a day on Noto Peninsula (with car), on the Izo Peninsula (without car), or should we add a day in Kyoto and do a day trip to Kurama and Kibune?! (Currently we will have 3 full days in Kyoto, including a day trip to Nara).

Apologies for the mistake in my previously post. We will be spending night 19 in Matsumoto where we will also drop off the car. Then we will take the Chuo line back to Tokyo.
by Christine (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread