Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Parking fee for my stolen bike? 2019/7/13 09:59
My bicycle was stolen about a month ago. The problem is that I did not register the bike with the police when I bought it, so when it was stolen I could not report to them. This morning I found it at the train station parking lot, so clearly the thief took my bike and left it there, and it will take me 17, 000 yen to take it out. If I leave it there will the police be able to track me down and make me pay ( I was given red cards for not turning the lights on twice in the past)? Thank you.
by Khanh pham (guest)  

Re: Parking fee for my stolen bike? 2019/7/13 12:20
How will police track you down if you never registered your bike?
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Parking fee for my stolen bike? 2019/7/13 12:48
Thank you for your response. I was worried that the police will be able to track me down using the number on the bike, like, I dont know, production number or something. Because I was given a red card in the past, I was worried that that number was recorded with my name in the police data.
by Khanh pham (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Parking fee for my stolen bike? 2019/7/13 15:53
The "red card" seems to be a warning that police in certain prefectures hand out to bicycle riders who were not obeying rules. How they handle the card may vary depending on the prefecture. From a quick Internet search, it seems that some typically check your bike registration and that's how they keep track of how many cards you get. If you get too many, they tell you to go get a lecture.

What puzzles me is why you never bothered to register your bike to the police, and why you kept disobeying the same rule. In any case, as you mentioned, there are two different registrations per one bicycle. One is on the sticker you get from the police, and the other is already engraved on the bicycle when it is shipped from the factory. Both numbers can be tracked down by the police.

I've once asked the police to track down some bicycles that were illegally occupying a space in front of our home, and they tracked all of them down, some through the engraved numbers because there were no stickers on them.

Anyway, please obey the rules if you're going to live in the society. There is a reason for every rule. Even if you're an illegal resident of some kind, or even if you are committing crime in the dark, there is no reason for you to keep riding unlit bikes because there are video cameras and witnesses all over the place anyway.

Bicycle accidents are very common, especially riders accidentally injuring pedestrians. And if that happens, a fine would not be enough.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Parking fee for my stolen bike? 2019/7/13 19:54
Paid parking wouldn't work as you wish (only if you pay the monthly fee, you can draw out any bicycle from there).
As you didn't register your bicycle when you purchased it, you can't prove the one is yours. So, the management of the parking will refuse to let you take it out.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Parking fee for my stolen bike? 2019/7/14 09:07
Normally you would have the bike registered at time of purchase - not believing everything I read on the internet, the internet tells me Registration costs 500 yen and is completed at the time of purchase at the shop, ownerfs ID required. A registration sticker will be stuck on your bike.
I don't bother with a bike here in Japan so I've never needed to find out.
And, at 17,000 yen, a new bike would be cheaper - certainly the ones I see for sale.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread