Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travelling in Hokkaido during New Year 2019/7/13 11:53
Hi everyone,

I will be travelling around Hokkaido from 31st Dec to around 6th Jan.

As it is within the New Year's Holiday of Japan, I heard intercity transportation by train (like from Tokyo to Sapporo or Osaka to Sendai) will be very crowded.

Will transportation within Hokkaido (for eg. Sapporo to Hakodate/ Sapporo to Niseko) be very crowded?

Appreciate any input and also advice on how I can plan my Hokkaido trip!

Thanks!

-Steve
by Steve Yong  

Re: Travelling in Hokkaido during New Year 2019/7/15 23:47
According to the old release by JR Hokkaido in 2018, many Sapporo people reserved leaving Sapporo ticket of Dec 30 th, and backing to Sapporo ticket of Jan 3th. the 2nd Graph of 2nd page is indicating.
https://www.jrhokkaido.co.jp/press/2017/171214-1.pdf

This is because many rural area native Hokkaido People are moving and working at Sapporo, and they go back to there born places in December.

so if you go to Sapporo in December, you can avoid these traffic.

Of course Tokyo to Sapporo flight ticket and Sapporo accommodation is very expensive. If you're coming from Singapore, I strongly recommend you don't use domestic flight when you come to Japan on Dec 30th.
by K.N (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling in Hokkaido during New Year 2019/7/18 22:44
Hi K.N,

Appreciate you replying to my queries. The link you sent was very useful and I've analysed it.

Just to check, is the 1st graph on the 2nd page referring to Shinkansen leaving and arriving Hakodate?

-Steve
by Steve Yong rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling in Hokkaido during New Year 2019/7/19 08:25
Busiest days are the weekend (Saturday/Sunday) ahead of NY. You are travelling after that (31st is a Tuesday). You might want to be careful about the following weekend (4th/5th) as people return after their NY holiday.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread