Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can the public view the Dai Gohonzon 2005/5/29 22:53
Can the public view the Dai Gohonzon
by Karen Hollands  

which one? 2005/6/24 15:22
In Bhuddhist temples Dai Gohonzon means "main statue (or image)" - some are always open to public, some are not. It really depends.

Some of "Hibutsu" (=secretly stored statues) are disclosed for public view for a several days per year, some remain unveiled.
Reasons temples do not show those to lay people are,
(A) regarded as sacred
(B) "curse" - there are some legends
(C) preservation
by Shinnosuke rate this post as useful

Dai-Gohonzon 2005/6/26 01:47
Hi,

I am not sure if your question is about this specific Dai-Gohonzon or not but I hope this helps to answer your question.

I am a Nichiren Shoshu Buddhist. The Head Temple is called Taisekiji in Japan. Nichiren Daishonin's (the True Buddha's) Dai-Gohonzon is located there. In order to partake of the scared ceremony to have an audience with the Dai-Gohonzon (called Gokaihi) a person must first have a special letter of permision from their local Priest. To fuse with the Dai-Gohonzon is not to be takem lightly or treated as a sightseeing event. The Dai-Gohonzon is the very Enlightened life of the True Buddha. If you are interested in learning more about Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism or the Dai-Gohonzon you can check out these links. Click on Gokaihi or the Photo Tour to see the Hoando, the santuary where the Dai-Gohonzon is enshrined.

http://www.taisekiji.net/

or

http://www.nstny.org/

At the NST NY website click on links to find a temple in the USA near you.

I have been A Nichien Shoshu Buddhist now for 21 years. This info. is NOT related to or affiliated wth SGI (Soka Gakkai) in any way. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me. Hope this helped.
by Aya rate this post as useful

Opps! 2005/6/26 02:03
Hi Karen and Shinnosuke,

Sorry for the double post above.

I just returned from a pilgrimage or Tozan to Taisekiji to participate in the Gokaihi ceremony to pray to the Dai-Gohonzon. A most profound and mystical and faith deepening experience indeed!

Karen???? 2005/6/26 20:10
Hi Karen,

Do we know each other by different names on another MB where I was describing my recent Tozan to Taisekiji? :)

must be a member 2007/7/24 20:25
unless you are a member ....you r always welcome to be a member pls...
by S C NG rate this post as useful

Visiting Taisekiji 2007/10/7 13:19
I was Gojukai-ed when I was 3 years old. I plan to visit Japan and attend Gokaihi. What should I do to get in to the temple as I don't have any evidence from any priest.

I am from Australia, originally from Indonesia. No NS affiliated temple in Sydney.

Roy
by Roy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread