Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Birth certificates in Japan 2019/7/22 16:16
Hi!

I am in a very complicated situation and was wondering, if anyone had similar issues and knows the answer.

Me and my fiancée are both foreigners, living in Japan and I am pregnant now.
Since we are not married, Japanese authorities say they won’t register my fiancée as father. ( to marry we need a document that is hard to obtain, since his embassy does not provide such documents and getting it from home country might not be in time for birth of a child)
It leads to issues with getting a fathers surmame for a child, passport and also problem with him getting child care leave.
So we really need to register him as father.

So my questions are:
1. Has anyone heard of examples when foreign couple was able to do taiji ninchi (胎児認知) to register a father? Our city office never had such situation so they are working on finding out documents required, but no luck so far)

2. Maybe anyone knows other ways of obtaining birth certificate with both our names in it? Like anyone had examples of going to court/ having some notarized actions done in order to have both parents names in certificate?

Any advices would be appreciated!
by Natto (guest)  

Re: Birth certificates in Japan 2019/7/22 17:15
Someone you should talk to is not city hall but is the embassy of your country in Japan.
Neither of you hasn't been registered as a Japanese national, so there is no slot for your child to register.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Birth certificates in Japan 2019/7/22 17:27
You need to get the required documentation from your home countries. (Embassy)
Please keep in mind that you nor the father do not have family registration (koseiki) in Japan.

I do not know both your nationalities but if from different country the process can be more complicated.

The baby needs to get a status of residence to live in Japan. But either way, the first thing you have to do is to submit the application form for a Birth Report to a city / ward office which deals with the area in which you live within 14 days after the baby has been born.

by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Birth certificates in Japan 2019/7/22 17:41
Thank you very much for your answers!
To my knowledge, the embassy registers a child based on birth certificate, that we should receive in the city office.
So if that certificate has no fathers name, I assume I can register only in my embassy - we have different nationalities, so it would be not a good option - a child won’t get father’s surname and nationality in this case.
Also the company requires a document from the city office to get a child care leave - so if there is no father name, there is no child care leave for him.
by Natto (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Birth certificates in Japan 2019/7/23 00:39
ninchi is for a new born child to be rescued. it does not mean you are a married couple. non-married couples can easily be separable, because no legal responsibilities for each other.
ninchi is the final mean by a woman to entrap a man. I mean his original intention is to escape from the legal responsibilities for a woman and a baby, and but he fails to do that (he is entrapped).
ninchi has such negative meaning in Japan.
so in many cases, a baby who has ninchi, is considered as an unwanted child and is discriminated.
why don't you get married ?
I think you are believing that ninchi is a convenient system to get a father to a baby. but, it is not.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Birth certificates in Japan 2019/7/23 01:48
I may be totally wrong here but thought it might help, my child was born in Japan and both of us, parents, are foreigners
Basically the registration if birth happens based on document from hospital. The information in the document is carried over to the birth certificate. I remember the document has section for birth where the parents are not married. My suggestion is to check at city hospital or where ever you plan to give birth and ask how would they handle your situation. If they can write name of fiancée as father it might be helpful to some extent. You don’t lose anything by checking with hospital
by Kb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Birth certificates in Japan 2019/7/23 01:55
By the way, there is no birth certificate in Japan. It’s only certification of information of birth
出生届
by Kb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Birth certificates in Japan 2019/7/23 03:05
Japansee Wikipedia has good info (translate as required).
https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/出生届

Quoting specifically,
親が婚姻関係にない場合:
親が婚姻関係にない場合の子は、原則として子を産んだ母親の戸籍に入ることになる(嫡出#嫡出と親子関係を参照)。この際、母親が戸籍の筆頭者でない場合には、母親を筆頭者とする戸籍が新たに作られる。手続きとしては、分籍とほぼ同様の扱いとなる。なお、この場合の子は離婚後300日以内に生まれた場合(前夫の子と推定)を除き非嫡出子となるが、婚姻・認知により嫡出子となる(準正)[2]。

両親とも外国人である場合:
両親とも外国人である場合、血統主義の日本では、生まれた子に日本国籍は与えられず戸籍も作られないが、出生届は提出しなければならない。また、出生後60日間を超えて日本に滞在しようとする場合は、出生から30日以内に在留資格取得許可申請を法務省地方入国管理局長に対して行い在留カードを作り、出生から60日以内に住所地の市区町村役場で住民登録をしなければならない。
by Donnai4 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Birth certificates in Japan 2019/7/23 05:00
@Donnai4 , it seems though that the case of unmarried, foreigner isn’t really considered in the text you provided. It really only says that a kid of foreigners doesn’t get registered in the Koseki (which makes sense because foreigners don’t have one, that you get the certificate and that within a certain number of days you need to apply for the resident permit for the baby).
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Birth certificates in Japan 2019/7/23 08:29
Also, I think money is required up front before you enter the hospital to give birth. You might want to check into that also.
by camper (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread