Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bachelor degree useless? Work on spouse visa 2019/8/6 12:11
Hey Guys!
Okay, so here is my Situation.
I study Japanese Studies on a University in Germany, its a 4 Year Course.
atm, I live in Japan on a Student Visa till next year April. After that I need to go back to Germany for 2 years minimum.
Me and my japanese partner think about marriage next year. (together for 3 years)

Okay, here is my question. I heard from many people, that, other than Visa/Immigration a Bachelor in Japanese Studies is rather useless for job hunting in Japan.
Because i have to study 2 years or more when I go back to Germany, I've been thinking of dropping out and start living in Japan with a spouse Visa.
I passed JLPT N2 last Winter and going for N1 this Winter or next Summer.

Do you think its bad to drop out of my german University? Will finishing it help me with finding jobs? Should I take the time and enter a Japanese University instead or go job hunting?
I wanna hear some opinions if my thought process is stupid.

Greetings
by shishi (guest)  

Re: Bachelor degree useless? Work on spouse visa 2019/8/6 15:02
Depends on what kind of job you want. Probably, there are many employers in Germany who as a matter of policy just won't hire someone who hasn't finished university, period. Same in Japan.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bachelor degree useless? Work on spouse visa 2019/8/6 15:22
Pp is right. A degree for a lot of jobs is a prerequisite kind of regardless what it is.
Also for your visa situation it might be better. Yes, if you get married you donft need one, but you never know. Better be in a position where you can get a visa by your own merits.

You could maybe consider studying something else? Or going to university in Japan instead (in Japanese or English) and get your degree in Japan?
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bachelor degree useless? Work on spouse visa 2019/8/6 15:43
Hello!
Yea, that's what I thought.
So its basically, look at each job individually and see what they want.

About going to a japanese university, I have thought about it, but havent done research.
You are right, in my position this sounds actually like a good plan!

(Because I really dont wanna finish the University in Germany, once bc it feels useless in Germany and Japan, second because it just isnt the field (research, stuff like that) I wanna do in the future) and lastly because I just didn't feel well in Germany.)

Thank you for your answers, because there is still over 10 months left, I'll do plenty of research and thinking before deciding.

Greetings

by shishi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bachelor degree useless? Work on spouse visa 2019/8/7 10:01
Finish your degree. Dropping out may give you a lifetime of difficulty explaining to employers why you didn't finish - if I was reading you CV I'd be asking those questions.
As for the subject and usefulness - that is a personal choice. When I was hiring people and and interviewing I would look more at the skills and abilities rather than just the core subjects studied. Many of the people I know with degrees never actually use the subjects they studied.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread