Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Final Plan - a couple of questions 2019/8/8 22:23
Hi, I have posted about itinerary questions a few times-I am finally very close and a good thing as this trip is sneaking up-we leave Oct 3rd! I am solid on the first portion-it's the last part I need some help on. I was the one debating Izu or Takayama and Alps and decided Alps in the end. Plan below-questions at the end.
Oct 4th (arrive 2:30) 5th, 6th and 7th-Tokyo
Oct 8th-Okuhida Onsen (Ryokan in Shin -Hotaka-plan is to leave Tokyo early to enjoy the onsens and maybe go on ropeway if it's a nice day)
Oct 9th, 10th-Takayama
Oct 11th -Takayama -Magome-Tsumago (Nohi bus) and then to Kyoto in evening
Oct 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th-Kyoto (day trip Osaka one day)
Oct 16th -Koya San (overnight temple)
Oct 17th , 18th -Miyajima/Hiroshima
Oct 19th Hiroshima -Tokyo (depending on if we want to see more Hiroshima, or stop in Himiji en route or arrive Tokyo a bit early if we feel we want more time there)
Oct 20th -need to be in Tokyo for Moto GP race
Oct 21st -morning shopping, last minute stuff-5:30 pm departure Narita.
So my questions are
any general commentary-too rushed, too much?
We really want to stay in a Ryokan in Miyajima and ideally in the same place for 2 nights but the places we want either aren't available for 2 nights or splurge places -Ok for one night too much $$ for 2. Would you spend both nights in Miyajima and go back and forth from Hiroshima? Or would you spend one night in Hiroshima/ 1 night Miyajima.
Where to fit in Koya San-is it worth it? The idea really appeals to me, but it seems tough to find the right spot to fit it!! If we dropped it, we would probably add a night to the Alps, or Kyoto or Tokyo and do a day trip somewhere-maybe Nikko?
by Jacqueline Andersen (guest)  

Re: Final Plan -a couple of questions please 2019/8/9 10:50
It looks pretty good to me. If you could have pushed Takayama toward the end you might see autumn colours but it still could be a bit early. If you can squeeze Kamikochi in (bus ride from Takayama) you could have full colour in early/mid October. Onsen Hotel at Kamikochi = awesome!

I stayed at Grand Hotel Arimoto at Miyajima. Very nice but a but stiff, maybe it has loosened up a bit. We were there 2 nights but really one is plenty. Personally I'd much rather 2 nights at Nara than 2 at Miyajima, but then I'd pretty much rather 2 nights at Nara than anywhere else I've been.

I prefer Kamakura and Enoshima to Nikko. Enoshima in particular is a very fun little island, and has nice views of Mt Fuji on a clear morning.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Final Plan -a couple of questions please 2019/8/9 22:04
Thanks for the reply.

Yes-we want to do Takayama first because of the festival. We could skip Kiso Valley and squeeze Kamicochi in. We are from Western Canada where we are spoiled with Alpine scenery and so I am more interested in scenery plus culture.

How would you handle Miyajima.Hiroshima? By the time we get there from Koya San, it will be 2:00 ish even if we leave right after breakfast. I was thinking either stay at a nice place in Miyajima, head stright there, explore the island a bit and settle in for dinner, next morning explore what's left of the island and then head to Hiroshima for the peace park and museum. Would it be worth changing hotels and staying in Hiroshima again or back to Miyajima, Or to Tokyo on an evening train and then another day in the Tokyo area for maybe a day trip......
by Jacqueline Andersen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Final Plan -a couple of questions please 2019/8/9 22:07
also what kind of clothing would you pack? I am thinking a raincoat, light pants, jeans, 1 or 2 warm sweaters...would you think a warmer packet is needed for the Alps early/mid Oct ish?

Re: Final Plan -a couple of questions please 2019/8/10 05:00
Hi, Miyajima is more fun when the daytrippers leave although a lot of the food places shut so it is more that you can wander around without crowds (it's been a few years since I was there, maybe it changed). It is quite a way from Hiroshima city which counts toward staying only one night, but then Hiroshima city is pretty smoggy and industrial whereas Miyajima is nice and clear, which counts toward staying the second on the island. I think I'd stay the second night on the island.

Whether wise we were there late October to early November last year, Takayama was quite cold at night but everywhere else was pretty warm - too warm for a jacket. Given you are at Takayama a bit earlier, I think a very light "emergency" jacket (like my wife's beloved uniqlo puffy thing that shrinks into a little ball) with a jumper should be plenty. It shouldnt be rainy that time of year and if there is anything that is easy to find and cheap in Japan, it is umbrellas.

Re: Final Plan - a couple of questions 2019/8/12 01:38
Thank you LazyPious very much. I want to run something else by you. We were planning a 14 day JR Pass activated on Oct 8th when we leave Tokyo. Do you think that is a good idea or should we try for a 7 day activating when we leave Kyoto and just paying as we go first? Also how do you handle wifi-sim card or mobile wifi and who do you order from?

Re: Final Plan - a couple of questions 2019/8/12 04:54
Hi, I'm not really all that cluey when it comes to the passes, I got one unnecessarily our first trip 12 or 13 years ago or so and never bothered since. I still struggle with tickets but then I dont use public transport at home.

With phones and wifi, wifi is really good at hotels and a lot of towns have free wifi too especially around the stations. We just wing it turning data off and using wifi apps like messenger for calls and messages.

Sorry about not being able to help with passes.

Re: Final Plan - a couple of questions 2019/8/12 09:53
Just in response to value for the passes, this calculator is useful: https://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/

I wouldn't myself bother if the cost is borderline, but my husband really likes the flexibility of not having to buy individual tickets then (potentially) miss a train. Not that he ever would miss a train except by dire misadventure, but that's his personality.

The passes are also good for biggish side-trips that can add up in cost-I'm thinking Kyoto to say Himeji: you can just jump on and off, and you need a 'slow' train anyway as the fast trains don't stop at that station.

The passes are a bit limiting-no Nozomi for example, when Nozomis are way more frequent than other trains from Tokyo to Kyoto. I also like that on the Nozomi it is way more Japanese travellers and fewer tourists.

by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread