Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Name on redidence card in Kana? 2019/8/10 09:54
Hello,

I am a German living in Japan since 10 years and married for 5 years. I got a few years ago my permanent resident visa but recently facing always some annoyances.

After I married my wife, I attached legally her family name to my name, so I have a double name.
My wife and our 2 children also have the same double name. I have also changed to this double name on my residence card, but only in romanji, since it is written that way on my German passport.
However I would prefer to register my name everywhere where possible in Kana, because it is the same name as my wife and my children. My name has a combination of Katakana and Kanji(my wife's name part).

I was able to get my name on 2 of the 3 banks which I am using in Kana and my Kana name is also shown on my health insurance card, my juuminhyou and it is shown in both romanji and Kana on my driver licence. However for my 3rd bank this is still not enough evidence and they want to register it only in romanji, sama as my residence card.

So to avoid all this trouble, is it somehow possible to also legally change my name on my residence card to Kana and which documents would I need to submit? Needless to say, I have no German documents showing my name in Kana...
by City Hunter (guest)  

Re: Name on redidence card in Kana? 2019/8/10 13:02
As far as I know, the name that appears on the resident card is based off of your passport, so I donft think that is possible.

In the old galien registration cardh times, you were able to register an alias on alien registration, and my non-Japanese husband had his full name in katakana registered as alias (for the purpose of registering a property in our joint names), but I donft know how galiash is handled since they changed to the new gresident cardh system.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Name on redidence card in Kana? 2019/8/12 10:06
All documentations which will prove who you are will be the same as your passport or will be in Alphabetic letters. Such as driving license, resident card

Bank and other your can have in Katakana,
In my case only driving license, resident card are in Alphabetic letters. The rest is a mix of Katakana and Alphabet.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Name on redidence card in Kana? 2019/8/12 11:38
@justmyday and OP, you can also get your registered alias on your driver's license! You just need to bring proof to the police station, and they'll add it on the back. AFAIK, the residence card is the only document that doesn't allow it at all; the rest should!
by Murny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Name on redidence card in Kana? 2019/8/12 17:08
Living in Japan has annoyances and you managed to get two out of three banks to register your name the way you want. As a counter opinion to the previous posters, you could consider that a victory (especially dealing with banks) and stop worrying about it.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread