Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Teaching jobs in akita? 2019/8/29 13:27
Hey there everyone , thank you so much for reading my post, there is one question that has been stuck in my head for quite a while , hopefully someone in this forum knows the answer ,
English teaching jobs in akita with no degree...?

i know i know , there are a lot of threads already with the question but in my case i am on a spouse visa ,
i am hired as a translator (i do speak japanese , english and spanish) for a japanese company, the one problem is that my salary is not very high and a teaching job would get me a higher salary.

i dont have a BD but i do have several degrees ( toefl , JPLT 1, etc)
there are some teaching positions that dont require a BD but how can i find them , i live in akita and i really dont know
where to start , any suggestions ?

thanks in advance for your replies.
by Juan (guest)  

Re: Teaching jobs in akita? 2019/8/29 19:14
If you're on a spouse visa, there's no restriction on the work you can do.
Why not simply advertise locally for students? Is there a room in your home you could use to teach simple classes, perhaps private or just one or two students?
As a non native speaker, it may be harder to find a position but I guess it can't hurt to go through the local phone book and contact all the eikaiwa schools?
by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

Re: Teaching jobs in akita? 2019/8/30 06:13
Im actually a native speaker,i was born in South America but lived in the US since i was a little kid, in other words no accent
by Juan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Teaching jobs in akita? 2019/8/30 08:02
By definition, a "native speaker" is: a person who learned to speak the language of the place where he or she was born as a child rather than learning it as a foreign language. If you were born in South America, there are no countries that have English as the official language, therefore you are not considered a "native speaker". I was born in Spain so my native language is actually Spanish, not English, the language of my nationality by birth of US parent abroad. Some organizations may take that into consideration when dictating who is a native speaker.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Teaching jobs in akita? 2019/8/30 09:20
Rant:
To put it in simple term, in Japan at least when company advertise for say English 'native speaker' ,
they are looking for typical blond,blue eye caucasian.
It doesn't matter if you speak 'native' English. Appearance sell. <end>

As for immigration formality 'native speaker' is based on your 'passport'/'nationality'.

Is there any international association near your place? Maybe you could try there?
I got my 'ALT' stint at local elementary/jhsl from my local international association as non-native speaker, non-caucasian but with unrelated degree from UK. Though having spouse status helped secured it.

i do have several degrees ( toefl , JPLT 1, etc)
Those are not degree but certificate. If you have JLPT1 cert and can communicate at JLPT1 level (most are just paper JLPT1), then you should try look for better job, not English teaching job.
Make use of your Japanese language ability and whatever experience/expertise that you have. Try looking for jobs at your local Hello Works.

by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Teaching jobs in akita? 2019/8/30 09:22
If you are on a gspouse of Japanese nationalh resident status, then you donft have any restriction on what kind of job you can take on, as long as you have the skills to perform the job well (and as long as the employer wants to hire you).

I donft know about your gnative speakerh status (it is not a matter of having accent or not), but if you have proficiency in the English language equivalent to that of native speakers, and can demonstrate that you have good teaching skills, you might be able to find a teaching position. But if you are seeking full-time position, note that you will be competing against other native speakers of the English language with a bachelorfs degree (usually) and sometimes with teaching experience/training already. It will be a matter of looking around.

By the way, when you speak of gdegree,h they usually refer to gbachelorfs degree,h so you donft have that. TOEFL and JPTL1 are certificates/license, etc., but not referred to as a gdegree.h
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Teaching jobs in akita? 2019/8/30 12:11
I have only been in japan for 3months tho, i donft really have a lot of exp when it comes down to job haunting, I would look for better jobs but they all have a low salary, below 2000 US dollars, i thought that a teaching job would give me more than that,

There is an international association but so far they registered me as a translator and invited me to different events, but nothing job related,

I am currently making a little bit more than 2000 USD , having no college degree and no exp working in japan might not be beneficial at all, even if you can speak Japanese

Ps akitas salary is really low, around 130000 \ a month.

Ty for answering guys

Re: Teaching jobs in akita? 2019/8/30 12:44
If you were born in South America, there are no countries that have English as the official language, therefore you are not considered a "native speaker"

By that definition, Naomi Osaka is a native speaker of Japanese. But we know she's not.
She's a native English speaker.
I believe even the immigration office considers someone to be native speaker of English if they were taught in English for a certain number of years.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Teaching jobs in akita? 2019/8/31 13:05
so if there are any more answers i would like to thank all of you

thanks for the replies guys.

reply to this thread