Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Re-enter and extend stay 2019/9/16 15:26
So Ifm going to go to japan from the end of September until the end of February to do unpaid internships. Since my internships are unpaid and I stay less than 180 days in japan and have a German passport, the embassy told me via e-mail when I asked them about a visa that I didnft need one and that I can extend it from the initial 90 to 180 days.

However I plan to visit a friend in Seoul South Korea in October. My question is do you think I can enter japan in September, go and visit my friend 4 weeks later and come back to japan after 4 days in South Korea, and then can extend the then renewed 90 days stay to 180?
Ifm not going to Korea to avoid getting a real visa since my overall stay from end of September to end of February would be less than 180 days anyway, but I am scared that the immigration office might think that and doesnft allow me to stay 180 days.
What do you guys think about that? Do think it works the way would do it ?

Also, can I re-enter with a temporary tourist gvisah? Like if I arrive and then already tell them Ifd like to extend my stay to 180 days, is it possible to travel outside of japan within the 180 days and come back and then I donft need to get a new 180 days permit?

Hope I made my questions understandable, Ifm sorry that it is so long 😅 and thanks already in advance everyone 😊
by Sophia (guest)  

Re: Re-enter and extend stay 2019/9/16 17:22
So you want to come (letfs say) on Sept. 20 to Japan for the unpaid internship, then do a trip out to South Korea Oct. 20 to Oct. 24, then stay till Feb. 28.

(Ifm going to set aside the question of whether you really donft need any kind of visa other than Temporary Visitor for long unpaid internships. There have been discussions about whether you need a visa for unpaid internships, and some say yes you do need gcultural activitiesh for unpaid internships over 90 days. But for now, letfs say you donft.)

In terms of time line, you come to Japan on Sept. 20 (just as an example), you get Temporary Visitor status stamp in your passport that allows you to stay until Dec. 19 (maybe I am off by a day or so, anyways, 90 days). Then you leave on Oct. 20, come back Oct. 24th. You will get another Temporary Visitor status stamp, which should allow you till Jan. 23rd.

So before that expires, you need to go to one of the immigration bureau offices and apply for an extension of your Temporary Visitor status. Probably you will be asked about what you are doing, and to show proof that you have sufficient funds to stay in Japan without working (since paid work is not allowed on Temporary Visitor status).

All I can say that it should be OK. But a 5-month gunpaidh internship sounds somewhat long, so you should be prepared to answer honestly and to have sufficient funds to live.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread