Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

7 day JR pass or 14 day JR pass? 2019/9/25 06:16
Hi everyone

My husband and I will be traveling to Japan in November (7 Nov - 20 Nov) and wanted to see whether or not we need a 7-day JR pass, 14-day JR pass, or no JR pass. Here is our itinerary below:

Thu 7 Nov - Tue 12 Nov (Tokyo)
Arrive at Narita airport - transfer to Shinjuku where we will be staying.
We would like to do a day trip to Nikko one day and another day trip to Kamakura.

Tue 12 Nov - Wed 13 Nov (Hakone)
Travel from Tokyo to Hakone.

Wed 13 Nov - Sun 17 Nov (Kyoto)
Travel from Hakone to Kyoto. Our hotel is at Higashiyama Ward.
We would like to do a day trip to Nara one day and another day trip to Hiroshima.

Sun 17 Nov - Tue 19 Nov (Osaka)
Travel from Kyoto to Osaka. Our hotel is in Namba.
We would like to do a day trip to Kobe and Himeji castle.

Tue 19 Nov - Wed 20 Nov (Osaka)
Travel from Namba to Kansai Airport to catch our flight back.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!
by Joanna (guest)  

Re: 7 day JR pass or 14 day JR pass? 2019/9/25 08:46
no
by no (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7 day JR pass or 14 day JR pass? 2019/9/25 08:57
One-way Tokyo to Osaka - no JR pass as it would be way too expensive (double).
Plus, Nikko day trip using Tobu Railways is cheaper than JR (and not covered by a JR pass), and most people visiting Hakone use Odakyu Railways (also not covered by JR pass).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: 7 day JR pass or 14 day JR pass? 2019/9/25 10:20
One-way Tokyo to Osaka - no JR pass as it would be way too expensive (double).

Yes, but the OP will travel from Kansai area to Hiroshima (round trip) which will cost about 20,000 yen so the Japan Rail Pass can be paid off.

I think there are two options.

1. Buy Japan Rail Pass (Nation wide, 7 days) and use it from Tue 12 to Mon 18. You can travel from Tokyo (Shinjuku) to Odawara, Odawara to Kyoto, Kyoto to Nara (round trip), Kyoto to Hiroshima (round trip), Kyoto to Osaka (you must pay additionaly for the Osaka Metro. You can take JR-line to JR Namba, but it will normally take more time), Osaka to Himeji and Kobe (round trip).

2. Buy JR-West Kansai Hiroshima Pass and use it from 16 Sat to 20 Wed. You can travel Nara and Hiroshima (round trips). Note that you must take conventional rail, not Shinkansen to Shin-Osaka from Kyoto, and then transfer to Shinkansen). You can also travel from Kyoto to Osaka (not by Shinkansen), Osaka to Himeji and Kobe (round trip, you can use Shinkansen).
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: 7 day JR pass or 14 day JR pass? 2019/9/25 14:54
28 day green pass...or do some research
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: 7 day JR pass or 14 day JR pass? 2019/9/26 08:53
@frog - yes, the Hiroshima day trip adds up, and the regional pass would be an option. But the savings are not much over the cost of a 7-day pass given a few discounts and options available. Plus, while many people claim the convenience of the rail pass, it can also be a pain to use. If I was doing that trip I wouldn't bother with passes.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: 7 day JR pass or 14 day JR pass? 2019/9/26 09:57
Nikko pass for Nikko.
One way ticket Odawara to Kyoto.
5 day Kansai Hiroshima pass for Hiroshima.
IC card for others not included in above.
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread