Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Anyone used the Three-Star Route ticket? 2019/9/26 18:54
After advice on the Mitsuboshi Kaido Three-Star Route ticket from anyone whofs used it.

• Ifm aware itfs a 7-day ticket but is that 7 consecutive dayfs or any 7 days (ie. If I use on Monday and then again on Wednesday, is that considered 2 days or 3?)

• It says to exchange for a valid boarding pass prior to boarding at the bus companyfs ticket counter. Does that mean I do the exchange once, at the start of the 7-day journey, or each and every time prior to boarding?

• Ifm aware itfs a one-way ticket and no backtracking is allowed, but if the journey consists of Takayama \> Shinhotaka Ropeway \> Hiraryu \> Matsumoto, are the middle two stops considered back-tracking (as theyfre both in the Okuhida area)? Or does it simply mean you canft return to where you had boarded?

Any feedback/advice from anyone whofs used this pass would be immensely appreciated!

Thanks heaps.
by ENETs (guest)  

Re: Anyone used the Three-Star Route ticket? 2019/9/27 13:11
The ticket looks like this: https://www.chitetsu.co.jp/?p=42570

There are four portions, which get torn off as you use them. Hence, no backtracking. There is no option to visit the Shin-Hotaka Ropeway on this ticket, so you would need to buy separate tickets for that.

Also, the ticket is valid for four days, not seven. Those four days are consecutive. See here, further down: https://www.alpico.co.jp/en/three-star/
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone used the Three-Star Route ticket? 2019/9/27 13:26
Hi!

Actually, it looks like there is a new version of that ticket specifically for foreigners what is valid or 7 days, not 4.
https://option-ticket.mitsuboshi-kaidou.com/mitsuboshi-pamphlet_en.pdf

However, it's still not valid for Shin-Hokata, so in OP's case they would go to Hirayu, pay out of pocket for the Shin Hokata leg as well as the Kamikochi leg and would then catch the bus at Hirayu to Matsumoto. I think it might also include local trains between Nagano and Matsumoto, since they're talking about Nagano also being a 3 star destination, though the limited express costs additional.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone used the Three-Star Route ticket? 2019/9/27 15:30
Thanks @rkold! I have a hard copy of that same pdf brochure hence why I got (am still am) confused as on page 2 (in the Takayama box), it mentions Shin-Hotaka so can only assume it'd cover the bus journey all the way there and not just to Hirayu? :(
by ENETs (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone used the Three-Star Route ticket? 2019/9/28 00:32
Hi!

The brochure and pass is pretty new. This pass has been discussed before and I remember finding the link to the old pdf a few times (which was in Japanese) so I was really surprised when I did the search for 3 Star route and found a big new entry on the JNTO site and this new English brochure.

I mean it could have changed, but this pass seems really similar to the old 3 Star Route that was valid for 4 days referenced above. About the only big differences I've seen are: Possibly including a local train to Nagano?!? I am still a little confused on that. The old one use to have an option for a cheaper bus fare from Shinjuku to Matsumoto; That you can leave from Toyama and go to Gokayama and Ainokura. You can't do this from Kanazawa and this is a completely new option, it use to be Toyama to Shirakawa Go like Kanazawa to Shirakawa Go; and that it is now 7 days not 4.

If you look at the picture of the valid boarding settings, they don't show Shin-Hokata. The 4 day version of this pass use to do a better job showing excursions (like Shin-Hokata) and showing they were extra. Kamikochi and Shirahone onsen also fall into this category. Togakushi and Kamikochi are also shown and both, particularly not Togakushi are a part of this pass.

So if you were going when Kamikochi was open and you wanted to go there and Shin Hokata, you would get off at Hirayu and do transfers from there. I've not personally done the transfer but I have been to Hirayu and it's just not that large. The bus area at Kamikochi seemed much bigger and busier though I went to Hirayu in 2010 and Kamikochi in 2018.

Good luck, I adore Kanazawa, Matsumoto and Nagano and loved the onsen in Hirayu.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone used the Three-Star Route ticket? 2019/9/29 07:40
I am planning a trip between Kanazawa and Nagoya and would like to use this three-star road tickets. I am just wondering where I can buy it.
Does it sell abroad? Can you buy it in Osaka or Kyoto?
by Soso68 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone used the Three-Star Route ticket? 2019/9/29 08:57
You can click the links people have posted to find purchase locations. Just follow the information.
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Anyone used the Three-Star Route ticket? 2019/9/29 09:24
This website is a bit more informative than the brochure: https://option-ticket.mitsuboshi-kaidou.com/

I think the ticket to Nagano is separate; it's an add-on that people can consider if they want to extend their trip. Likewise with the Hokuriku Arch Pass.

Purchase locations are found if you click the "Ticket Information" box about halfway down the above link. It's a JR East ticket, so can't be bought in Osaka or Kyoto.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread