Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Regular train ticket + pass to cover journey? 2019/9/30 15:38
Hello All,

I spent a month in Japan a couple years ago, and I swear I read somewhere that you can't combine a regular train ticket + rail pass to cover a journey without getting off the train to buy that regular train ticket; but I can't find anywhere that confirms this

For example, I need to go from Kii-Katsuura to Osaka in the afternoon, and I have a Kansai Area Pass that covers up to Wakayama. Could I buy a regular train ticket from Kii-Katsuura to Wakayama and then use my Kansai Area Pass to cover the rest of the journey without getting off the train?

Thank you!
by Chris Nelson  

Re: Regular train ticket + pass to cover journey? 2019/9/30 16:32
No that is incorrect. You do not need to get off.
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Regular train ticket + pass to cover journey? 2019/9/30 16:40
What if my Kansai Area Pass does not cover Limited Express trains? Do I just pay the Limited Express Fee for between Wakayama and Osaka once I reach Osaka, or can I pay it beforehand?
by Chris Nelson rate this post as useful

Re: Regular train ticket + pass to cover journey? 2019/9/30 20:57
Do I just pay the Limited Express Fee for between Wakayama and Osaka once I reach Osaka, or can I pay it beforehand?

You can pay for the limited express fare for from Kii-Katsuura to Osaka (Tennoji?) and normal fare for from Kii-Katsuura to Wakayama. Show your Kansai Area Pass at the ticket window of Kii-Katsuura and buy them. Note that you must have the actual pass when you board at Kii-Katsuura.

Have you considered Kansai Wide Area Pass 9000 yen for 5 days?

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai_wide/

Kii-Katsuura to Wakayama fare + Limited Express fare is more than 5000 yen.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Regular train ticket + pass to cover journey? 2019/9/30 21:11
Yep, I think I'll just get the Kansai Wide Area Pass, somehow I missed that! Much better value as I'm heading to Himeji, Nara, Kyoto afterwards ^.^

Thank you for your help guys!
by Chris Nelson rate this post as useful

reply to this thread