Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Options for family extended stay 2019/10/6 05:13
I'm a 38 y/o canadian resident with a wife and 4 year old. I work in canada as a carpenter and paramedic. We all have next to no japanese language skills. We would like to spend one year living in japan. In short, what are our options? Can we get a visa? Can my boy go to an immersion school? Can my wife and i work as a English Tudors? Any other employment? Would fukuoka be a good option? What about somewhere smaller in the mountains?

We have travelled to japan for one month before and stayed almost exclusively in tokyo, minus some day trips into the country side. We loved it, but the one year in japan is my dream that they are willing to go along for, though im sure they will love it.

I guess I'm looking for ideas or options, that i havent considered, for how to spend one year in japan legally without completely breaking the bank while living a fairly japanese life.

Thanks so much for any ideas.
by Will (guest)  

Re: Options for family extended stay 2019/10/6 13:01
Have you looked at https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/index.html
90-days is the usual maximum unless you follow the procedures set out at https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page22e_000738.html
That allows for a potential 6 months plus six month extension. Note one of the requirements is " 30 million Japanese yen " or about CAD$400,000 in savings, and "Dependent children cannot be allowed to accompany." so I think this clause kills that option.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Options for family extended stay 2019/10/6 13:04
The phrase "work as a English Tudors" suggests English is not your first language, which will make it more difficult to become tuTors.

Visit the website of the Japanese embassy in your home country to research possible visas.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Options for family extended stay 2019/10/6 14:36
Hi Will,

In general, most countries won't let people live in another country because they want to. This includes countries such as Canada, the US, UK and Australia.

As such - the main way people come to live in Japan as a cultural experience is

(1) Working Holiday Visa - which you are ineligible for due to age
(2) JET program which involves teaching kids English in semi-rural locations. I'm not sure of the appropriateness of this specifically for a family as competition is quite strong.

Due to this - it's probably not possible unless you have a certain skill that is not easily found in the local population or you are investing significant amounts in Japan or work for a company which sponsors your visa which is significantly more expensive than hiring a local.

Others might know more that I - but others may also be a bit more direct on the possibilities.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread