Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which visa is best? 2019/11/15 09:34
I am married to a Japanese national and I have been living in Japan for 9.5 years. We have 2 kids born here in Japan. I currently have a professor visa. We intend to move overseas permanently next year.

Before we leave, I was thinking about changing my visa to either a spouse visa or a permanent resident visa but I am not sure which (if either) I should change to? Will the permanent resident one lapse if I don't live here for some amount of time over a 7 year period? How about the spouse one? Or should I not worry about either and just get holiday visas when we return on trips to visit Japan?

Any advice appreciated. I just figure that whatever I choose to do, it will be easier to do it now before we leave Japan (i.e. in-country as opposed to applying from overseas).

Thanks!
by whereisnow  

Re: Which visa is best? 2019/11/15 16:31
You dont need a visa for Japan if you are living in another country.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which visa is best? 2019/11/15 17:21
I think, spouse of Japanese national visa best.
by Roy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which visa is best? 2019/11/15 20:24
No matter your status, you can never stay outside Japan for over 5 years consecutively, since that's the maximum validity period of re-entry permits.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which visa is best? 2019/11/16 00:57
It depends when in next year you want to move? Permanent residence can take up to one year to be approved. Spouse visa maybe faster

You can keep renewing re-entry permit whenever you visit Japan
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread