Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Register Zairyu card with no fixed address? 2019/11/18 19:58
I read that you need to register your address in Japan soon after you arrive.

Well, I went to the ward office in Taito-ku today and the person I spoke to said it's impossible for me to register because I'm moving somewhere else in 7 days. The guy said you need to be staying at an address for 3 months? in order to register it.

I was planning to travel around Japan without staying in one place for more than 1 month. But I don't want to be fined for not having an address. I don't really know what to do if they won't let me register.
by Maisie (guest)  

Re: Register Zairyu card with no fixed address? 2019/11/19 10:24
What type of resident status you have now?
by Justyou (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Register Zairyu card with no fixed address? 2019/11/19 10:27
If you don't have a fixed address, you don't have to register one.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Register Zairyu card with no fixed address? 2019/11/19 11:07
You must register your address at your city or ward office within 14 days of moving into a municipality.
So if you have no fix address than you cannot register. You can do this after you have a fixed address.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Register Zairyu card with no fixed address? 2019/11/19 12:49
I have a working holiday visa. I don't plan to stay anywhere >month for the year that I'm here. Can I really just not register an address without consequences?
by Maisie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Register Zairyu card with no fixed address? 2019/11/19 15:30
If you really worry than you should contact the embassy or immigration
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Register Zairyu card with no fixed address? 2019/11/20 03:10
Can I really just not register an address without consequences?

Depends what sort of "consequences" you mean. For example, a consequence of not being registered somewhere is that you are unable to register for the National Health Insurance, or open a bank account, etc.

Re: Register Zairyu card with no fixed address? 2019/11/20 07:56
The "three months" comment does not sound correct. When you move somewhere you are required to register within 14 days - no suggestion that there is an associated term of three months or more with that.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Register Zairyu card with no fixed address? 2019/11/30 05:01
The "three months" comment does not sound correct. When you move somewhere you are required to register within 14 days - no suggestion that there is an associated term of three months or more with that.

Yes, you must register your new address within 14 days, but if you don't do it the penalty is "only" a 200,000 yen fine (same as not carrying your residence card for example). However, if you still haven't done it after 90 days, then your status can be revoked.

Re: Register Zairyu card with no fixed address? 2019/11/30 08:01
These fines are usually worded as maximum possible amounts. I doubt that any foreigner was ever fined any amount of money for not reporting such changes. But I understand that the failure of not reporting changes could have an unfavorable impact on the process of future visa applications/renewals.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread