Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Job ideas for a veterinarian in Japan 2019/11/19 13:08
My husband is finishing his phd in Japan and hopes to find employment there after. We won't be moving there yet for a few years and are working on learning the language. I will have been a mostly small animal vet with some agricultural and small mammal exotics for over 7 years in the USA, and while I know the veterinarian and in particular the small animal field is oversaturated ( and I doubt I will be fluent enough to pass the exam the first year), what profession might my skills translate to? Would I be employable as a vet nurse until I can pass boards? Is there a parallel field I might start training for? Any ideas would be great. I don't mind coming in on a dependent or even student (language school) Visa but I would like to swap to a work Visa and contribute as soon as possible.
by Julia Parker (guest)  

Re: Job ideas for a veterinarian in Japan 2019/11/19 15:36
To practice as a vet in Japan, you need to pass the exam for a national license in Japan.
To be eligible to sit for the exam, you need to either (1) complete the six-year veterinary studies in a Japanese university, or (2) have completed the equivalent studies outside Japan or have been licensed as a vet outside Japan, and considered (by the Japanese authorities)to be equally competent to or more competent than those who completed six-year studies in Japan.

Second do you want to be a vet in Japan?
There are to many already and competition is fear.
Below an article from 2017 but still ongoing situation.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/06/17/national/media-national/j...
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Job ideas for a veterinarian in Japan 2019/11/19 23:52
Japan Times again. lol
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Job ideas for a veterinarian in Japan 2019/11/20 01:27
While good information if I was asking about Veterinary jobs as a veterinarian, and quite frankly with 7 years experience and training very much equivalent, and both interest and training in the less desirable areas of vet med, I have a better shot than most foreigners if I passed my boards. But as stated, that was not what I asked, especially since I expect to need some immersion to become fluent enough to pass medical boards in Japanese.
What ALTERNATIVE jobs might an experienced foreign veterinarian with moderate fluency in Japanese hope to obtain, including lower ranked jobs such as pet nurse, or are there parallel jobs that I might get training for now before I go to Japan?
by Julia (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Job ideas for a veterinarian in Japan 2019/11/20 06:52
As a veterinarian you could become a researcher at a lab or use your scientific training to work in pharmaceutical industry. However if your gonlyh experience is being a vet, making such a job change might be difficult.

But it you ask what are the alternatives, I would start at looking what are the alternatives for people who studied veterinary science in your country. There must be many alternatives. Some of them like slaughter house vet might be less likely in Japan as those are professions that typically require some kind of license. Others like basic research at a university likely require a PhD and experience, but no official license. you could obviously do a PhD in Japan.

So my suggestion is to look at all the different jobs a vet could do in your country and then investigate which of them are feasible in Japan.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Job ideas for a veterinarian in Japan 2019/11/20 08:51
by justmyday rate this post as useful

reply to this thread