Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Denied apartment rentals 2019/11/29 22:54
Good day everyone.

Im a single mom with an 11 year old.
My kid and I have been living with my mother because I couldn't afford to get our own place back then. I was ready to move out 4 years ago but mom got sick and had to stop working.

My mother have decided to leave Japan for good and return to our home country. This apartment is under her name and we have to find a new place by the end of December.

I have been trying to find an apartment for the past 2 months and so far have been denied 6 times. I work 2 part time jobs, earn about 16万-18万 month which probably isn't much. I also make some money selling air tickets, int'l delivery boxes, beauty products etc. I have been paying for everything for the last 4 years with no problem. Current rent is \75,000 and I'm trying to get a cheaper one which is about \50,000.

I didn't know it was this hard getting an apartment. It's disappointing, they dont even say the reason why I keep being denied. I have the money put aside for the move/upfront costs and have savings. I only have one credit card that I use on bills, always paid on time. No loans.

I feel like I'm running out of time finding a place. Im scared they'll kick us out of this apartment and be homeless. Any place who can help me find a housing? Does the city hall assist in this kind of situations? I really don't know what to do and where to go.

Help please, any inputs would be appreciated. Thank you so much

by Ella (guest)  

Re: Denied apartment rentals 2019/11/30 08:13
Your city (and probably also your prefecture) should have public housing for which you can apply; however you are not guaranteed to obtain it, as demand typically exceeds supply.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Denied apartment rentals 2019/11/30 15:43
Have you tried UR housing? I thought they work on a first come, first serve basis, but I might be wrong.

https://www.ur-net.go.jp/
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Denied apartment rentals 2019/12/12 14:34
I have gone to the city office, they recommended UR housing as the danchi might take time since its a lottery.

So I went to UR housing and tried for a place that cost 49,000/month (fixed 3 years lease) but apparently I don't meet the income requirements. They wanted the ITR from last year and had to have at least earned 240万 but I only earned 225万. I asked if having a savings help and the lady told me that if I didnt meet the annual income requirements I only had to have at least 6months worth the rent ― which I had. Then I came back with all the paperwork and they didnt accept it because they said the savings had to be 100x the rent! Jeezus. I don't have that much. Im already settling for a place I don't want to live in and I still cant get it. :(

I don't want to end up getting a place nobody likes, or some place where someone had died but I also do not want to be homeless. We have to move out until the 15th of January and I don't know what else to do.
by Ella (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Denied apartment rentals 2019/12/12 19:00
Have you tried the prefecture office as well?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Denied apartment rentals 2019/12/12 23:20
I feel you.
As a foreigner, 99% of the rentals are denied even if you have income and offer a ton of money up front.
I have 12M full time job and 1K apartments for 80,000-100,000 yen always rejected me.

I ended up having to pay 160,000 yen for a tiny 1K on Yamanote line, more than 1.5x per month than what a Japanese would have paid, and had to overpay up front of 1 rei-kin : 3 shiki-kin

I want to move to something bigger when I get promotions but I bet it will end up costing over 500,000 yen for 2LDK unless I marry a Japanese person or something.
by ddd (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Denied apartment rentals 2019/12/12 23:26
In my prefecture, some hotels require 1000 yen per night.This is helpful if we have tourist visa or short period stay.but if you have long term visa
Then you must rent an apartment. some of my friends share an apartment, and pay equal rental fees.so you can share a home with your friend.
by Roy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread