Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best view of Mt. Fuji accomodation 2020/1/5 12:11
We are looking at Lake Kawaguchiko, Minamitsuru and Lake Yamanaka accomdations and were told staying on the north side of lake Kawaguchiko provided a better view of Mt. Fuji. Now we are trying to get recommendations on accomodations where people know there is a good view of Mt. Fuji on a good day. Some of the ones we have looked at include: Kawaguchiko cottage ban, Highland Resort Hotel & Spa, Lakeland Hotel Mizunasato, Villa Ensoleille, Lake Villa Kawaguchiko, Sun Plaza Hotel Can anyone make recommendations on any of these with regards to a view of Mt. Fuji if it is clear in April? Too many properties put pictures of Mt. Fuji on their website yet you don't know if it is from their property or not. TYIA.
by Flying Tiger  

Re: Best View of Mt. Fuji Accomodation 2020/1/5 21:15
We stayed at Fuji View hotel which had a nice and clear view of mount fuji. It is on the south side of the lake however.
by sullon rate this post as useful

Re: Best View of Mt. Fuji Accomodation 2020/1/5 21:41
Looking at the locations, Kawaguchiko Cottage Ban and Lake Villa Kawaguchiko should give you some view, though you are likely to have cottages and other buildings in the foreground (this is looking at their websites and checking on photos where they say gthis is the view you get from our propertyh). One place I know where we did get a fabulous view is Sunnide Resort (yes, we have been there ourselves), on the northern shore of the lake, and there was nothing blocking the view of Mt. Fuji from the hotel room windows, with just the lake in between. It was an easy walk to the shore as well.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Best View of Mt. Fuji Accomodation 2020/1/6 00:32
What about Highland Resort & Spa for Views? I know it is right next to FujiQ which really doesnt matter to us. I also read there may be some difficulty get to the train station so how would we do that? Property looks pretty good.
by Flying Tiger rate this post as useful

Re: Best View of Mt. Fuji Accomodation 2020/1/6 01:45
We stayed at Weekend Shuffle. While you won't have great views from your room, it's close to the lake shore where you will get excellent scenery of Fujisan. Your room won't be too fancy either. But we enjoyed our stay because of the owner. At dinnertime, he dropped us off and picked us up at a restaurant
and in the early morning , he took us up to a private mountain to view Fujisan. I don't know if he does this for all his guests, but I think so. Anyway, check out the reviews and photos on Trip Advisor. Also, I've said this before on this forum: do not miss the Kubota Itchiku museum. Yes, it's kimonos, but what special kimonos! (This coming from a non-kimono person). And the grounds themselves are wonderful! Nearby Weekend Shuffle is the Music Box Museum. While somewhat expensive and the displays are meh, the performances are pretty interesting. For my wife and I, the sand painting performance was mesmerizing and worth the price of admission. I enjoyed Kawaguchiko. I hope you do to.
by nealson rate this post as useful

Re: Best View of Mt. Fuji Accomodation 2020/1/6 02:33
Thank you. One of the properties just told me this The nearest train station is Kawaguchiko station and it is not a JR station. So how do we get to Kawaguchiko via a JR Train from Tokyo with a JR pail pass if the Kawaguchiko station is not a JR Station?

Re: Best View of Mt. Fuji Accomodation 2020/1/6 05:12
A JR Pass is not some sort of universal panacea that covers every eventuality - sometimes you have to take (and pay for) a non-JR train. However, in this case, either get a JR train to Otsuki and then pay for the Fujikyu train from there or take the twice a day (8.30 and 9.30) JR Fuji Excursion train to Kawaguchiko from Shinjuku.
by tt7 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best View of Mt. Fuji Accomodation 2020/1/6 07:07
My wife and I stayed at Wakakusa no Yado last year for a few nights. The room had lake views but not Fuji views. The onsen baths however had great Fuji views including the private onsen which you could reserve. Essentially you are looking straight at Fuji outside the window.

Also the park (Yoyogi?) which is within 50m or so had brilliant Fuji views and a few viewing spots.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best View of Mt. Fuji Accomodation 2020/1/6 08:47
If you have a room facing the mountain, then if it is clear then you usually have a good view. My last visit/stay I used the MyStays because it wasn't as ridiculously over-priced as many of the other options in the Kawaguchiko area. Guests had great views first thing in the morning before the cloud came in.
(Clould lifted as we were departing, so they took extra photos from the train.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Best View of Mt. Fuji Accomodation 2020/1/6 09:21
I think we are going to try the Highlands hotel & Spa near FujiQ for 2 days and try to see Fuji if she is willing and appreciate recommendations on things to see considering we have no interest in the park. I can't seem to find if the hotel has transportation to the train station and back but was surprised it wasn't a JR station as I thought.

Re: Best View of Mt. Fuji Accomodation 2020/1/6 17:57
JR might be big, but it is not everything. Even in Tokyo they have only around 1/3rd of the train stations in the city (around 800 out of more than 2,200!) There are an awful lot of train companies in Japan - I'm not sure of the total but I have seen one organisation that represents 77 different train companies.
From the closest station to the hotel you picked it is not a long walk, and even if you go to Kawaguchiko a taxi will not cost much or take long.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Best View of Mt. Fuji Accomodation 2020/1/7 00:46
Thank you. It just is puzzling which lines belong to whom and how you know which line you should take.Never seen so many rail companies before and it looks like I will have to use a lot of other rail companies besides JR for instance in Kyoto. For 13 days I am also trying to figure out a way we could use a 7 day pass (Instead of a 14 day one) but with 5 days in Tokyo say before we active it (only using Suica cards), we would run out of a 7 day pass with our itinerary of Tokyo & Nikko day trip-Mt Fuji-Kyoto-Kinosaki Onsen-Tokyo.

Re: Best View of Mt. Fuji Accomodation 2020/1/7 04:30
Hi!

Another option would be to get a JR Tokyo Wide Pass for 10,180 in addition to a 1 week, but I would check prices to make sure the 1 week pay offs. I can't remember if Kinosaki has additional fees because it also uses private lines. The 10,180+29,100 is less than the cost of a 2 week. The wide DOES cover the private line tracks from Otsuki to Kawaguchiko Station. Other options would be to take Tobu another private line to Nikko and take a direct bus from Tokyo Station or Shinjuku Station to Kawaguchiko. Expressway buses in Japan are quite nice. I took one between Tsuruoka and Yamagata because it was faster than trying to get there via train. I've also taken the bus from Kamikochi to Shin-Shimashima to transfer to Matsumoto. I wouldn't want to do an overnight or 4-6 hours on a bus, but for 2-3 they're very pleasant and nothing like a Greyhound in the USA.

But honestly a lot depends on your route. Are you heading to Kyoto right after Kawaguchiko? Since you can take a bus from Kawaguchiko to Mishima and pick up the shinkansen there vs. going all the way back to Tokyo.

Good luck!

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Best View of Mt. Fuji Accomodation 2020/1/7 11:02
Yes we would be going to Kyoto from Kawaguchiko. First we need to get to Highlands Resort & Spa from Tokyo and then when we are ready to depart, we need to know how to get from Kawaguchiko to meet a shinkansen to Kyoto. I do not know the names of the stations we need to take trains to and the ones we need to take buses to/from. Kind of confused also if the buses run from train stations also. Was really hoping to do this all on trains but appears we cannot.

Re: Best View of Mt. Fuji Accomodation 2020/1/7 13:25
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6905.html

Please sit down good to read this "access" page; you can select "from/to Tokyo" and "from/to Kyoto" to find your ways around.

Basically, from Tokyo - Otsuki (so far JR train), Otsuki - Kawaguchiko (non-JR train), then bus to Mishima, then JR Shinkasen train to Kyoto.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best View of Mt. Fuji Accomodation 2020/1/7 13:47
hi!

And then once you get to Kyoto, you will need to get to where you are staying. If it's the Granvia, you're in luck and it is connected to the JR Station. There are many hotels a short walk away and some are a free shuttle away (please check with your specific hotel, most don't offer this service, but I have seen it) and many will involve a cab or a transfer to the subway (not covered by a JR Pass of any type) Hopefully you booked somewhere near something other than a bus stop.

Local buses (like in Kyoto) are nothing like Expressway buses or Airport Limo buses. The last two have plush comfortable seats and expect you to have some luggage.

I suspect the complaints people have with the Fuji Q Highland Resort is the most direct path to the train (the Fuji Q Highland stop) is by cutting through the park. The good news is if you take a bus from Tokyo you can be dropped off right in front of your hotel. as the Fuji Q bus stop is in front of your hotel. (You can use Google Maps, where it is marked)

I am pretty sure even if you take the direct train from Shinjuku to FujiQ or Kawaguchiko there is an additional fee.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6905.html

There is a direct bus from I believe that same bus station to Mishima.
http://bus-en.fujikyu.co.jp/highway/detail/id/29/

Good luck!

by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread