Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

3-4 Week Trip to Japan 2020/1/10 19:27
Hi,

I want to go to japan this year again I was there in july 2019 but only for 10 Days and to be quite honest I miss the country I only visited tokyo as well.This year I want to change stuff up. I want to visit several cities as many as possible but without missing out on too much which cities would u recommend I plan to get a JR Pass. I either want to go in April cause of the cherry blossom Season or June for my birthday but im stll undecided on that and would also love recommendations for that. My budget is around 5000 Euro excluding the Flight im not sure how I would best manage with all the different Hotels I plan to go solo as well so maybe I should just use capsule hotels again? I am really overwhelmed with all the possibilites of what I could do as I didn't get too explore much of japan's possibilities yet.
Also my Japanese is not really good I can speak only a few words and understand a bit.
I will probably land in narita or haenda

What I have found out so far.
for Cities:
Nagasaki
Tokyo
Kyoto
Osaka
Sapporo
(Or rather most of the provinces if possible)
But I also maybe want to expierence a village if possible and see what other cities there are.
I know how much food approximately costs and the JR pass and all but im still kinda overwhelmed
by Yukii (guest)  

Re: 3-4 Week Trip to Japan 2020/1/11 15:45
Ummm... maybe use this weekend and read for a few hours a guidebook or this webpage to come up with a basic list of your interests and places you want to visit.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 3-4 Week Trip to Japan 2020/1/11 20:23
My budget is around 5000 Euro excluding the Flight im not sure how I would best manage with all the different Hotels I plan to go solo as well so maybe I should just use capsule hotels again?

If you divide 5000 Euros into two, accommodation and other budget (public transport, food, entrance fee etc.), you will have 2500 Euros for accommodation. If you travel for 25 day.s, then 100 Euros for 1 night. If you are a young traveller, this will be more than enough. New hotels/hostels/apartments are increasing in Japan, especially in Kyoto, so you will have many choices. Hostels are about 25 Euros per night. "Business hotels" like Ibis in Europe are 40-60 Euros. There are some Ibis actually, but they tend to be expensive in Japan. Capsule hotels are mainly in big cities where business hotels tend to be expensive. I don't recommend them if you want comfortable sleep.

If you want to stay in Kyoto on top season, from the end of March to early April (before 5th), the hotel rate is rather high so you might better consider hostels where the rate does not get high even in the high season.

Japan is actually cheap as compared to the western Europe. Food, entrance fee are rather cheap. One exception is public transportation, but if you get appropriate train pass, you will pay less.

Enjoy planning!
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: 3-4 Week Trip to Japan 2020/1/12 03:50
I did 8, 6, and 4-week trips to Japan. I went with at least a rough outline and made reservations accordingly.
What I recommend:
(a) Remain flexible, and to be flexible make sure you can cancel accommodations. Plans can change, especially a long duration trip, and it is OK. I stayed mostly at business hotels, and one or two onsen ryokans and capsule hotels. You don't have to plan out for every day, you can research the night before, or just wing it (which is more adventurous). Most major train stations have tourist info center or have free tourism brochures, and you can just walk in and see what's interesting in that town.
(b) Between April and June, I suggest April. June can coincide with the rain season.
(c) Stay close to the train station. Chances are, you will be riding trains everyday. Being closer makes a difference.
(d) If you plan to visit Nagasaki and Sapporo, then JR Pass probably makes sense. Look into 3wk pass. I would consider adding a stop or two (e.g., Aomori, Aizu-Wakamatsu, Nikko, etc.) between Tokyo and Sapporo. Otherwise, skip or fly to Sapporo.

My trips: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1T_TRmNEWkYhHDy3J_gsp-VR3...

Have fun!
by Trips2Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 3-4 Week Trip to Japan 2020/1/12 10:11
Between April and June, I suggest April. June can coincide with the rain season.

Yes, further, early April is cherry blossom season in Tokyo and Kyoto. Note that April is not good for Hokkaido: It is still winter but snow begin to melt and the wind is quite cold. As for June, it is not good season for Tokyo and Kyoto, but good for Hokkaido (especially northern part) and Okinawa. These places are remote, but you can fly with cheap promotional airfare (around 90 Euros per one flight). For example you can fly Tokyo>Wakkanai>Sapporo>Osaka>Ishigaki>Tokyo. Hokkaido tend to be not affected by the rainy season while in Okinawa, rainy season is over by mid June.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread