Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Questions about itinerary 2020/1/13 11:06
Hi again guys! I've purchased my flight for my first trip to Japan (first trip overseas in general, and by myself) and the details are as follow:
From March 2 - 16
Sendai (March 3-6)
Kesennuma (6-7)
Tokyo (7-11)
Kyoto (11-16, with day trips to other areas)

Right now one of my concerns is the weather. I'm from Puerto Rico, I don't think I've ever experienced anything below 55 degrees lol

How easy is getting around Kesennuma on foot? And am I going to be ok somewhere like this and Sendai by myself? (31, female, obviously Hispanic)

(I'll have a JRPass)

Thanks in advance for any advice!
by Gure20  

Re: Questions about itinerary 2020/1/13 16:39
Regarding if you are going to be okay as a female solo traveler I would say definitely yes. I travelled 2 months alone through Japan and also now when I go travel generally alone and never had any problems.

I am Caucasian, but I donft think that being Hispanic would be a problem in Japan. Japanese can sometimes be a bit against foreigners (not normally and not against tourists) but those Japanese that are racist, Ifd say they are racist against all foreigners equally and wouldnft make a destinction between Caucasians and Hispanics. But donft be afraid, Generally Japanese are very welcoming.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Questions about itinerary 2020/1/13 22:53
Hola!
Overall it is pretty safe even as a solo traveler but always use the usual common sense like staying away from drunken office workers after hours who might be happy but rowdy. But I agree with the response above, Japanese are friendly but if not are at least reserved and are more cautious than you.

In terms of Kesennuma, can I ask why you are visiting the small city? Unless you are going on the Pokemon Train or to the Sanriku Coast, it is a far flung location and is pretty spread out town. I've visited Kesennuma before and it was only to pass by on my way to Rikuzentakata. There is a bus rapid transit (BRT) that services the north and eastern coast of the town where the industrial areas are.
by Villagemayor rate this post as useful

Re: Questions about itinerary 2020/1/14 07:03
I visited Kesennuma in 2013, 2014 and 2015 and stayed there the last two visits for one night and 3 nights respectively. If you are not driving, getting around will be either by BRT (Bus Rapid Transit), taxi, or walking. The BRT starts at Kesennuma Station and goes north along the coast to Rikuzentakata and Ofunato or south to Minamisanriku and ending at the train station in Yanaizu. I used it to go to Goishikaigan Coast to the north and to visit a denim company and Minamisanriku to the south. It uses the paved-over railroad tracks of the tsunami-destroyed Kesennuma line as its main travel network.

As you exit JR Kesennuma, you will see a road that parallels a mountain ridge that prevents you from walking south unless you walk about a mile west and round the ridge to the other side. The BRT uses that road to get to the other side. Your other option is to walk east towards to coast. That is how you will get to most of the town. The road forms a T intersection about a mile from the station and if you head north, you will get to the hospital, city hall and eventually to the port. There's a cafe owned by Ken Watanabe there and the food is quite good. The fishing port is interesting to see when they bring in the catch, as you can see all the action from an observation floor above.

Back then, 2015, there were still a lot of empty lots and debris from the 2011 tsunami. I don't know what it looks like now and it would be interesting to see. I may make it there in May; I haven't decided yet.

I too am curious as to your interest in Kesennuma. It takes a while to get there from Ichinoseki, on the Tohoku Shinkansen.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Questions about itinerary 2020/1/14 07:42
Hi!

And I just wanted to say, you will be cold. I would highly recommend bringing gloves, a hat and a scarf. Gloves can make such a huge difference. Nearly every time I've been somewhere chillier than I was expecting, it's cold hands which is the hardest. A hat and scarf can also make a huge difference.

Until I had my child, I was frequently a solo woman traveler in Japan, now I'm a mother traveling alone with a grade schooler. I've had a few slightly negative experiences, but overall I've really enjoyed being on my own. I think sometimes being a solo foreigner makes you seem a little less threatening. I've met a lot of very chatty older women, especially in onsen. I wish I spoke more Japanese, but anything you know is always appreciated. I think some of the racism issues in Japan are a lot less of an issue if you're not planning to live in Japan and trying to find an apartment. I've never had a hotel refuse my booking because I'm a foreigner and I love that Japan has so many hotels with singles, so you don't get dinged for traveling alone.

I would recommend making sure you have a working cell phone.

I've been to Ichinoseki, but not Kessenuma. I liked Sendai. I've stayed there twice and visited Sendai an additional time. I want to say I've stayed at the Dormy and the Mitsui.

Enjoy!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Questions about itinerary 2020/1/14 08:49
Thank you guys for the help so far!

VillageMayor and John B; while looking up how to go about this trip (not wanting to do just Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka sort of trip) and seeing what places I could go to; coming across and reading more into Kesennuma (a place I had no idea about), with the effort being put into "going back to normal" I guess is how I can phrase it atm, it's silly but it touched the heartstrings. I'm from a small place too, and I know the importance tourism does for a place after a natural disaster. I couldn't help when it happened so whatever I can do now shrug
A cafe owned by Ken Watanabe is a bonus now lol

I knew about the limited transportation. Hence why im asking, will it be easy(ish?) For me to get around by foot? I don't mind walking everywhere lol
by Gure20 rate this post as useful

Re: Questions about itinerary 2020/1/14 10:42
Itfs probably about a 20-30 minute walk from the station to the fishing port. Kenfs place is about 5 minutes before the port. After 4 years, I donft know how much building has occurred.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Questions about itinerary 2020/1/14 12:50
We'll find out! Lol
Thank you very much!
by Gure20 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread