Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Apartment contract after visa expires 2020/3/6 12:42
A bit of a long a complicated question, so bare with me here...

My wife and I (both British) moved to Japan just under 3 years a go, and received 5 year visas. She is on a Working Visa and I am a Dependent. Unfortunately, we both have decided that we want a divorce. I had to move out, so I rented myself an apartment with a 2 year contract. After the divorce is finalised, I believe I have to self report my change of status to the Immigration office and I will get 3 months "Grace Period" then have to leave Japan. This is all fine.

My job is for a UK based company, and I fly around the world often so I am never in Japan for longer than 60 days (90 days are allowed with a British passport), and while I am here, I do not work.

After my divorce is finished, and I have surrendered my visa, what will happen to my apartment contract? Ideally, I'd like to keep using it when I am not working so I can spend my free time in Japan, but I don't know what the Immigration office will do or say.

My point of view would be that I am still paying the rent, not working in Japan (which I wouldn't be allowed to under a 90 day tourist visa) and I would never overstay my visa.

Any advice?
by nextMuffin (guest)  

Re: Apartment contract after visa expires 2020/3/6 16:16
Immigration does not have anything to do with the apartment contract.
The owner of the apartment is with who you need to talk.
It may not be possible to keep the contract since you are not living in Japan anymore, and you are may be a risk of not paying the bills (I do not say you do not pay, just a risk for the owner) But it would be better to discuss this with the owner.

by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Apartment contract after visa expires 2020/3/7 13:52
Once you give up your gdependenth status, as a UK national you are eligible to come as a gtemporary visitorh only, up to 90 days each time.

To the immigration authorities, you will be a gtemporary visitor,h visiting Japan and staying for maybe 2 months at a time, I donft know how many times/how often you plan to do that, but that "might" work out.

To the apartment owner, you will be just someone on vacation, willing to pay the full rent, full utilities, so they might say ok to that (or they might not). The concept of vacation renter might be ok with them or not, is what I mean. You need to talk with them.

You need to return the Resident Card to the city hall when you give up your gdependenth status and inform them you are moving/have moved yourself out as a gresidenth – otherwise you will be liable for city/prefectural taxes, health insurance, etc., which is based on the previous yearfs income.

by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread