Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Degree 2020/3/10 10:51
Hello everyone,

Ifm about to graduate from undergrad and my goal is to live in Japan with work visa, then eventually apply for pr. Ifm not too sure if I should go straight and work or should I go for Japanese grad schools, regardless of their qualities.

Some experienced mates have told me that Japanese employers donft really gcareh the master degrees. Many Japanese students would just go for a career after undergrad degree. Employers might even like bachelor degrees more, which I would personally assume that most of them are at the age of 22.

However, Ifm confused if that would increase the chances of my job hunt. In other words is it worth it based on my goal?

Thank you so much for any replies in advance! They would be very much appreciated!
by Jesse (guest)  

Re: Japanese Degree 2020/3/10 14:03
What did you study? Answer greatly varies depending on your field of study/work. e.g. If you're aiming to have tenureship at a university, having a graduate degree is fairly important. If you're planning on being a frontend web dev, then experience matters a lot more.
by apparition rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Degree 2020/3/10 14:53
Hi, thanks for you reply!

Ifm specializing in statistics, to be more particular, something involves with data and information technology: Data analyst, programmer or such. Not very much on the business / finance / economic sides though.

To be very honest, my bottom line is any jobs that sponsor a work visa would do. Ifm wondering whether an individual who has can a bachelor degree on this field plus N1 Japanese available is able to find a job with work visa sponsorship easily.

Thanks again!
by Jesse (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Degree 2020/3/10 15:28
That's a good background. You'll have no problem finding a work (and sponsorship). Look at tokyodev.com , japan-dev.com, LinkedIn, Justa.io, Wantedly and all that.

Re: Japanese Degree 2020/3/10 16:34
Hi again, thanks for the reply.

I meant only a statistics bachelor + N1 Japanese though, not necessary experience. A short term internship at most, perhaps. As a new Canadian graduate at 22, is this still able to find a job with work visa sponsorship easily, regardless of the relevance of the job?

Well I guess no doubt the most desirable outcome is to acquire a job that is relevant with my degree; does anyone know, by any chance, that whether a Japanese master degree would increase this possibility, or do Japanese employers just donft care about this in general at all?

Thank you for all the helps! I really do appreciate them!

Re: Japanese Degree 2020/3/10 21:17
A masters won't really matter much in your case. You should be able to get interviews directly for software developping gigs at companies like Rakuten, who tend to hire a lot from oversease

Re: Japanese Degree 2020/3/12 01:52
At your age, companies don't look for experience. With N1 JLPT, as long as you can do interviews in Japanese, I don't think you'll run into any problem in terms of finding a job.

Before you apply for Japanese companies, you should check out foreign companies' Japanese subsidiaries. For young people, foreign firms typically pay 2x-3x that of Japanese companies, with much faster promotions as well for skilled employees.
I think you have a good background, so please don't settle for the first company that gives you an offer.

Key benefits to look for when comparing salaries:
- housing support (subsidy for rent and upfront costs) <- this is much better than dorms, because you get to live in a better place, and initial cost of housing can be quiet high in Japan.
by fff (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Degree 2020/3/12 15:06
Thank you all for all these useful tips and helps!

reply to this thread