Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 29

1 2
next

Coronavirus and Flights 2020/3/14 02:33
I booked a flight earlier with British Airways to fly to Japan on the 22nd of April. How likely do you think the flight could be cancelled? I'm from the UK. I can't seem to find any information about it too much. March seems to be a bad month for flying with different airlines reducing flights and so on. But in April it seems that most flights aren't affected.
And also, I'm going to be in Japan for 3 months with the chance of staying forever with my wife. I do not want to overstay, but with the chance of there being no flights returning back to the UK because of the corona, what should I do? Should I go to the immigration beureau a week or two before my potentially cancelled flight and explain to them my situation?
It is crucial that I do not overstay if I need to leave. I do not want to get banned from the country.
Thank you.
by Goosie  

Re: Coronavirus and Flights 2020/3/14 07:28
I think there is a 25% chance that your flight to Japan will be cancelled, which I consider considerable. Looking at the situation deteriorating dramatically in Europe, I feel that the most likely cause of cancellation would be possible entry restrictions by Japan towards travelers from the UK and the rest of Europe.

but with the chance of there being no flights returning back to the UK because of the corona, what should I do?

UK citizen can easily extend their tourist stays in Japan from 3 months to 6 months. And even if you are not a UK citizen, I am sure that you would qualify for a visa extension if you have a solid reason. Furthermore, note that even if there were no more direct flights from Japan to the UK, you could still leave Japan via an alternative route (i.e. via a different country that still has flights to the UK) and avoid overstaying that way. Entry to UK citizens into the UK will always remain possible, although you may be subject to a quarantine.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Coronavirus and Flights 2020/3/14 08:04
Nobody can predict the future, especially now when things are very dynamic. My flight to Haneda for 4/1 got cancelled just 4 days ago. I am not worried about being in Japan, because the probability of infection seem to be, or will eventually be the same everywhere (except perhaps China). Getting quarantined upon return is another issue. But then, if the infection probability is about the same everywhere, quarantine of travelers does not make much difference. Be prepared for anything - that's the best advice I can come up with for now.
by kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Coronavirus and Flights 2020/3/16 22:02
@Uji
You're right that is a considerable amount. I've subscribed to my governments website, so that any changes regarding travel to Japan as of now for UK Citizens will be emailed to me as soon as they occur.
Right now, it seems as though there are no travel restrictions, just a basic warning that Japan currently has the virus.
In my opinion, the UK is actually worse-off right now. So there could be new travel restrictions coming over the next few weeks like you say. I really hope that I can still go there by April. Only about 5 weeks left. But a lot can happen between then I suppose.

Oh yes, I've thought about that visa extension, but since I'm going to changing my status when I am in the country, I think they will give me an extra two months when I apply for that. I'm not sure if I can apply for an extension and then have my extention extended further haha :D

I suppose the best thing for me to do is keep up to date on travel restrictions for British citzens coming to Japan.
Do you know much about the screening process? Currently I'm healthy and not infected, but I'm curious as to what their procedure would be if they were to inspect my health upon landing.

Thank you.
by Goosie rate this post as useful

Re: Coronavirus and Flights 2020/3/16 22:07
@kamahen
Thank you for your advice, it's a real shame about your flight. May I ask what airline you was flying with? I've heard that Delta and American Airlines cut down their flights significantly.
British Airways are also changing their flights, but rather than completely cutting them, they seem to be merging them with other flights as they still want to operate. They just seem to want to reduce the amount of ghost flights they're servicing.
I asked Uji the same question, but do you know much about the screening process in Japan when you land regarding your health? I've been to Japan twice and since both of those times there was no pandemic, they haven't ever checked my health. I am wondering what the process is like, I can't find too much online at this moment. I've read that they could check your temperature and do a cough test.
Of course, if you've come from China or South Korea (and maybe Italy, I'm not sure) then you're put under quarantine for 14 days.

Re: Coronavirus and Flights 2020/3/17 01:34
Hi!

Delta has cut back its flights but its also definitely a more long term thing. I was planning a trip to Japan in June and originally planned to fly US to KIX Tokyo to US on Delta as there were directs when I looked in January and February. The Delta flight from the US to KIX is now gone and mid-June is quite a ways out. I expect Delta and American are actually currently trimming flights within the US and not just Internationally.

If I go to Japan now, I'll be rethinking my itinerary so I can do a round trip direct.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Coronavirus and Flights 2020/3/17 03:11
@rkold
I see! It's a really unfortunate matter. Do you think flights as a whole will stop operating because of this disease? I'm holding onto my April flight ticket in hope, but I'm starting to consider changing it to next week as there is an open slot for it. Next week might be a better shot.

Re: Coronavirus and Flights 2020/3/17 06:53
Do you know much about the screening process?

There are a few cameras that monitor the temperature of arriving travelers just before the immigration counters and a few officials standing by the side of them.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Coronavirus and Flights 2020/3/17 09:25
The only accurate information about your flight availability or cancellations..is to contact your Airline Company you are flying with "direct!"... Only they will have the latest Government landing and departure restrictions etc, relatable to your flight..asking strangers on this site or any other site is never going to be accurate or current!... Daily the world is changing and new restrictions are being introduced..keep visiting your airline web site for the latest flight information and possible restrictions and cancellations...
by Barrie Atsuzawa-Windley (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Coronavirus and Flights 2020/3/17 09:59
All information what I read in this post is based on the current situation. Currently Corona virus is spreading rapidly in Europe including UK and Japan. Nobody can predict what will happen in April.
Japan is also considering how to control the virus better.

All you can do is contact the flight company and ask if you can have refund if needed and how far before your flight you can cancel. And also why you want to travel during this period and take the risk of getting the virus is for me a question.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Coronavirus and Flights 2020/3/17 22:18
@Uji
Thank you, that seems like a good way of screening.

@justmyday
You're right, thank you.
I'm travelling because I'm getting married, so I must go. I'm probably going to change my flight to the end of March instead, so hopefully the regulations stay as they currently are for the week or so.

Re: Coronavirus and Flights 2020/3/18 06:34
If you are flying in to a major business centre there is less chance of cancellation or at least there might be alternate flights. Flying into the tourist and regional areas has more of a risk of cancellation as these routes are hit hardest.

I dont necessarily think that Japan is any safer with respect to cv19 than most other places, but it wouldnt have stopped me going if it hadnt been for likely flight cancellation and quarantine when we came back.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Coronavirus and Flights 2020/3/19 00:28

Japan to ask 14-day self-quarantine for travelers from Europe
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/03/5687be163c6b-update1-japan-...
by Hanami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Coronavirus and Flights 2020/3/19 03:27
@Hanami
I just read that, too. I first thought it was only Europe, but then they said that Britain is included, too. I'm so upset lol. I could still go there in April, but they would quarantine me for 2 weeks.
Maybe it is better for me to change my flight to May.
They said in the article that those measures would go until the end of April. I wish you could prove at the airport that you don't have the coronavirus so that you didn't have to go through quarantine. It's a real shame.

Re: Coronavirus and Flights 2020/3/19 03:45
Want to fly 2.april. Frankfurt to Tokio and 10. april to Okinawa. as I understood the new regulation, you don't have to go to quarantine.
it is only asked to do that. ....
I will carry a certificate from a German doctor stating that I am healthy.
Hope they let me in
by Markus (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Coronavirus and Flights 2020/3/19 04:10
@Markus
The certificate from your doctor sounds like a good idea, I will do the same. But I'm not quite sure if the immigration authorities in Japan will care much for it if they are following instructions.
You are right, it seems from what I have read that they will "ask people from Europe and Britain ect to self-quarantine and not use public transportation." But it doesn't seem like they wil directly force us into quarantine like they may be doing to people from China and Korea.

Another thing I'm wondering about is what I read in this article: https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/03/5687be163c6b-update1-japan-...

"The Japanese Foreign Ministry will invalidate visas already issued to people from the 38 countries also from Saturday to the end of April." I don't understand, they will invalidate visas already issued. Does that mean that the temporary visitor status obtained is immediately invalidated? lol I don't really get it at all.
I actually intend on staying in Japan this time. I'm changing my status from temporary visitor to spouse. So I dunno but it sounds like this is going to have some kind of effect on it? I dunno. I really wish the coronavirus could have waited like 1 more month before it went crazy lol.

Re: Coronavirus and Flights 2020/3/19 05:06
I assume it means that any person attempting to enter Japan with a visa will be not allowed to enter through April 30th, regardless of whether they were already issued and stamped at the embassy/consulate of the applicant. Temporary visitor status persons will probably also be denied entry if they are from the countries listed.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Coronavirus and Flights 2020/3/19 08:47
you don't have to go to quarantine.
it is only asked to do that. ....

The epidemic is currently spreading exponentially in many European countries. Within a few days many countries in Europe have overtaken Japan in the number of deceased (and infected). (Note: that I think the number of deceased and seriously ill are a slightly better way to understand the extend of the infection in medically developed countries, because each county has taken a very different approach to testing. And Japan choose to get very little testing).

So for this reason it makes sense that the Japanese government, asks new arrivals from countries that are worse off than japan to self quarantine for 2 weeks. This essentially means for Japan that they have shut down most of the external tourism. Which is an important economical factor. So it would be highly irresponsible of you to just ignore that advise. Japan, somewhat similar to Korea, has an approach to let the country open and to not put laws in place to limit movement. But this comes at the understanding that many people WILL follow the advise they are given. You donft want to be found infecting someone because you ignored the request to self isolate for 2 weeks.

So I think tourism currently is off. Regarding the person getting married, I d say the situation is somewhat different. You have time. I.e. you can come, self isolate (with you future husband/wife) for 2 weeks and then start your life in Japan. Self isolating for 2 weeks isnft that much in the great scheme of things as you want to life in Japan for the future.

Now there was a different thread here about changing from temporary visitor to spouse status and how difficult this might be. Actually with the Coronavirus you now have an additional reason for saying why you donft want to return to the UK but to process the change here in Japan. It shouldnft be your only reason, but it might be an additional one.

BTW, Britain is part of Europe and currently also part of the EU. Unless someone succeeds to tow the entire island plus a portion of Ireland across the Atlantic close to US/Canada , Britain will remain a part of Europe for the next millions of year to come. Sorry to break that news.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Coronavirus and Flights 2020/3/19 08:54
The Japanese government would not right out gbanh incoming visitors, but that is their way of saying please refrain from traveling to/from Japan unless absolutely necessary, meaning no tourism.

Also please check with your airline – they would not board you unless they know you have the necessary documents/eligibility to be admitted, otherwise they will be the party responsible for transporting you back.

Another factor to consider is that you can be a medium in passing on the virus; you might not have it when you leave your country, but you never know what you might encounter during your travels, then while you might not have any symptoms but gcouldh end up passing onto less healthy people around you. That is the risk of people moving, which many governments are trying to restrict, in different ways around the globe.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Coronavirus and Flights 2020/3/19 09:29
@LikeBike,

Thank you for your description of why the UK is part of Europe still. I burst out laughing and my kid actually looked up from her Nintendo. I really needed the levity.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 29

1 2
next

reply to this thread