Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Native level & native speaker: English 2020/3/23 13:05
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your time in advance. My name is John and I am currently looking to land on a job which sponsors work visa for me. I noticed there are many opportunities for bilingual with Japanese, however they require "Native Level English":

I am a citizen of a country which the primary language is English and,
The primary language of the country that I was born is not English; and,
I came to the country since 10, so my short amount of time in elementary, full times in middle, secondary and post secondary schools are all English based.

I believe I am not a native English speaker because I was not here since early childhood, but I speak native level of English. Therefore, I know what some companies meant by "Native English Speaker", but not by "Native Level English".

It is ambiguous to claim something, so I am wondering if there are any exams that can prove I am as fluent as native level in English.

Thanks again for anyone who is willingly to lend a hand! Any corrections or new information will be very much appreciated!
John
by John (guest)  

Re: Native level & native speaker: English 2020/3/23 17:40
What types of job are we talking here... and
more often than not Native Level Native Speaker .

Any low level/beginner Eikaiwa/ALT English job that require 'Native speaker' just looking to satisfy work visa requirement ( passport/citizenship from English speaking countries) and degree. And often is just an excuse to hire caucasian looking person rather than ability, marketing purpose.
For private school/international school/university then experiences and qualification will greatly help your hirability.

But for other industries, then maybe you'll be better off proving your proficiency with certification/qualification and such.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Native level & native speaker: English 2020/3/24 06:21
If you have citizenship and a passport from uk usa aus etc then i think that would be enough.

They will understand your level of English when they interview you. Usually via skype.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Native level & native speaker: English 2020/3/24 16:27
To be completely honest, it depends on your physical appearance as well.
I know many Europeans whose mother tongue is not English (obviously), but are able to get jobs with native English requirements because they look "Western".
To compare, it is more difficult for Asians who were in fact born in UK/US to find similar jobs.
by guest1 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread