Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to enter Japan as a research student 2020/7/17 16:30
Hello this inquiry is about advice for a case of research student being between choice of two passages in different regions. I am 25 years old and since 2 years ago when i finished bachelor's in international business (whith some courses in agriculture) i have been tryng to enter a university in japan either for graduate or another undergraduate with end-goal to become resident there but due to not having any idea of these procedures back then, coming from an environment where noone else could help for this either and also the extremely competitive and limited admissions of japanese universities for international students i have been failing hard to even manage to make an application, let alone gain admission.

However then a pastor said there is another way which is availble in Japan called "Research Student" which is for both those who finished their undergraduate and use it as a means to enter graduate of the same field and also for those that come from different fields and can use the research student path to enter graduate for a different field. So i tried this instead. But because prior to that i had investigated so many Japanese universities for application and it seemed impossible, i ended up a little desperate and did not look at the location of the universities anymore as long as they are in "Japan".

So after sending dozens of emails i managed to gain admission as a research student for a different field (computer related) in a university for this October but then i realized that it is located in Okinawa which is not even inside Japan and i was really disappointed that the only university that accepted me was outside of mainland Japan and for a different field. Then recently another professor from Fukuoka offered me to apply as a research student in the agriculture field (which is tied to my bachelor as well) and this is located in Fukuoka, an ideal place for others who come to Japan. But the application for that is in December and entrance in April and i am not even sure if i will be accepted there, and if i leave the current one which starts in October and then get rejected in the other one i will lose both.

So what were you going to do in this case? Is it possible to go to the first one and in case i get accepted to the other, leave the first and go to the other which is in Fukuoka? Or will this mess the Certificate of Eligibility procedures? I require some advice please.
by Enoch (guest)  

Re: How to enter Japan as a research student 2020/7/17 17:10
I would be considering the reputation of the universities, and what they are actually offering you to study - what are you more interested in? Or are you just obsessed with moving to Japan, in which case I don't think this is a good plan - you will end up resenting the research, and not enjoy your time there.

I would question why you are so interested in being in Japan - it doesn't sound like you're interested in studying there particularly, given your horror at the thought of not being in mainland Japan! Sounds like you're just interested in moving to the country, in which case I would advise seeking other routes as well as the research option. Have you considered studying Japanese in Japan rather than your bachelor's field, if you do really want to be a student? Then you would have a wider range of choices for the city you are in.

Also, have you ever been to Japan? Do you have any experience living there? Why are you so interested in becoming a resident?
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to enter Japan as a research student 2020/7/17 18:54
By completing the research program you have up to 1 year stay in Japan , and it gives you slightly easier entrance for a graduate degree admission (2 more years) than going the normal way, additionaly with the research program it is cheap and easier to gain the certificate of eligibility this way. Language schools are good as well but they cost too much for me and i do not think that i can use that method.

The issue is that i already gained admission as research this october but it is in Okinawa and for a different field (computer) that i am not very interested in and also that place is outside of mainland Japan, bu there is also another professor that allowed me to do application in Fukuoka for agriculture field which starts in november and entrance is in April but i might not be accepted in the second one but if i do it is more ideal than the first one for me, however i can't reject the first one because it is unsure whether i will get accepted in the other. So it is a complicated situation.

Maybe you can go to the first one, and then if you get accepted to the other, leave the first and go there or will this make problems for the Certificate of Eligibiliy.
by Enoch (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to enter Japan as a research student 2020/7/17 20:41
If you're not interested in the first program, I wouldn't even consider accepting it. Is being in Japan so important to you that you would want to research a field you're not interested in? Like I said, you will come to resent it.

You didn't answer my other questions: why do you feel the need to move to Japan so strongly that you would go into a research program you don't like just to get there? Have you ever been to Japan before?
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to enter Japan as a research student 2020/7/18 07:45
Okinawa which is not even inside Japan
Yes it is.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread