Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to graduate in 3 years from a University? 2020/8/10 01:19
I want to study my undergraduates in Tokyo.As an international student,Can I graduate in 3 years or 2.5 years? There are tons of students doing fast track program in US. It both saves time and money. I also want to know which University in Tokyo has the fast track programs.Thanks in advance.
by Nabila (guest)  

Re: How to graduate in 3 years from a University? 2020/8/10 14:39
It would depend on the specific school/program, but in general "fast tracking" isn't a thing in Japanese universities.

For starters, Japanese universities tend to be a bit more rigid about what classes are taken in which years/in what order. It's not like in the U.S. where they just give you a complete list of classes to finish before graduation and say "Figuring out how to navigate the list from start to finish is up to you."

U.S. fast tracking also usually requires heavy class loads during summer sessions, but summer sessions aren't so common at universities in Japan, partially because the summer vacation period is so much shorter than in the U.S.

This might have you wondering "Then how do students who want to save money/time graduate from university?" For the most part, though, Japanese university students aren't worried about graduating as quickly as possible. The majority of students have their tuition and living expenses provided by their parents, and the four years of university are a welcome break between the intense study pressure of junior high/high school and the intense professional pressures of working adult life. It's a rare opportunity for Japanese people to relax, for friendships, and develop their personal identity, so most students don't want to run themselves ragged trying to take extra classes and shorten their time at school, especially if their parents are OK with the cost.

This might have you ask "But what about families that don't have a lot of money, so they need their kids to finish their education and get into the workforce as soon as possible?" In those cases, the kids don't usually go to a four-year university, Instead, they enroll in a two-year program at a specialized/trade school, usually acquiring some sort of license/certification for a specialized job along the way.

by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to graduate in 3 years from a University? 2020/8/10 19:44
A Google search on 3年で卒業できる日本の大学 does give you some results.

But generally speaking, most universities won't give you your diploma until the end of the 4th year. So if you're looking to leave Japan for good or to start working in a firm as a full graduate, then your chances are limited until then.

Meanwhile, universities in Japan generally do give you a complete list of classes to finish before graduation and say "Figuring out how to navigate the list from start to finish is up to you." Except that you are usually forced to take at least one or two classes a year. So, while a lot of students finish most of his/her classes by the third or fourth year, they still do need to attend at least one class a week until they obtain their graduation certificate. But if you leave only one or two classes a week for your last couple of years, you do get to do a lot of things such as part-time jobs and traveling.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How to graduate in 3 years from a University? 2020/8/16 04:50
I know that it is impossible to complete B.A. in short time in Japan; however, I think you can apply for the Temple University or Lakeland University Japan Campus. They are officially like “foundation”. You can obtain your A.A. degree their and go to main campus in U.S. OR you can apply for the other universities in Japan (I mean transfer). There is possibility that you can gain credits fast in 1 or 1,5 year and with 60 credit, which helps you to transfer and complete in 3 years your B.A.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread