Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Penalty for driving with incorrect permit 2020/10/15 15:21
My IDP expires on March 21st (I want to convert my license next month). I had no idea that I need to convert my license to Japanese license within 1 year of living in Japan. I was pulled over for not stopping at the stop line and only found out then.The police wrote me a ticket for driving without a proper license and told me that I will get a penalty and will hear from the public prosecutor's office.

My question is: Assume I get charged and get convicted, what ramification will there be for my ability to stay in Japan? Will I get a criminal record as a result of this? Will the criminal record affect my visa renewal? I am currently on a business manager visa and need to renew yearly. Will they ban me from staying Japan ?

Thank you for any response.
by Kesh (guest)  

Re: Penalty for driving with incorrect permit 2020/10/15 18:05
You should be asking this to a police station (during the day) or a local koban (24/7). They're not going to arrest you for asking.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Penalty for driving with incorrect permit 2020/10/15 23:23
yes. it is a crime. more serious than speed violation and park violation.
you drove without driving license.–³–Æ‹–‰^“]
probably, you can't get a Japanese license for several years. you can't convert your country's license.
don't make a new IDP to drive. that will make another violation.
you should think you are extremely lucky, because you did not make a traffic accident.
your crime should be considered in visa renewal, because you violated the law seriously. but, at present probably may not. but, you have to confirm this.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Penalty for driving with incorrect permit 2020/10/16 07:34
More important, you are not allowed to drive. If you do, and get caught again, then that would be more serious. Driving without a license is a serious offence, although it might not stop you from staying in the country on visa renewal (I note there was a disclosure for criminal record on the form I submitted for my renewal a few months back).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Penalty for driving with incorrect permit 2020/10/16 07:53
It was so serious of a crime that they gave you a ticket and let you continue commiting the crime by driving to your destination?

What's done is done but it doesn't sound so serious for a first and only offense.

by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Penalty for driving with incorrect permit 2020/10/17 00:20
I'm pretty sure the police made the OP leave his car and go home on a taxi or public transportation (unless he was with another driver), which happened to a friend of mine when I was sitting next to him. They called it "ukkari-unkou". And they're not going to let people drive without a proper license, period.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread