Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to become a regular at an izakaya 2020/12/6 20:01
Ifve been living in Tokyo since Feb this year. Its been difficult to make friends because of the Coronavirus (besides colleagues).

Ifve just moved to a new place where there is a nice little izakaya (the non chain kind) that seems to be popular with just about everyone. Theres singles, couples, even families with kids, pple after work, everyone. Its sometimes busy but sometimes quiet. Looks great.

Master seems friendly, talks to some customers. I want to be a regular but i dont know how. (Been twice)

Any tips?
by Lester (guest)  

Re: How to become a regular at an izakaya 2020/12/7 14:34
Visit frequently, sit at the counter, and start conversations with the chef and other customers. I love talking with the chef.
by Nonn Bay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to become a regular at an izakaya 2020/12/7 14:36
There are no secrets to become a regular at a drinking and/or eating place, other than to avoid being an unwanted customer.

Just pay regular visits, even if it has to be just for "take-out" food, be nice, maybe friendly, and that's it. A good owner would remember you, and soon enough the other customers will too.

Amid covid, it's difficult to chat, but you can say nice and specific things about the food and drinks, or maybe ask questions if you're interested in anything inside the venue including the interior. Currently, we're expected to try to eat quietly and then to put our masks back on before we start our conversation.

Needless to say, unwanted customers are those who cause problems from alcohol, those who always say negative things, those who always lecture, and those who don't pay properly. I'm sure you're not among them.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How to become a regular at an izakaya 2020/12/7 20:25
Go a third time, then a forth, then a fifth, etc. There is no magic here. How do you become a regular at a place in your home country? You start going regularly. Same as Japan.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to become a regular at an izakaya 2020/12/7 20:31
The izakaya can be a great place to test run some of your Japanese 101 — especially after youfve had that third confidence-boosting beer. Herefs what you should know:

1. Biru onegaishimasu
Means simply, gBeer please.h If beer isnft your thing, just switch the biru with the drink of your choice. For example, glemon sourh or ghighball onegaishimasuh will get you just as hydrated.

2. Okaikei onegaishimasu
Okaikei means gbillh and gonegaishimasuh is please. Whip this out at the end of the night and the weary wait staff will happily serve you the bill for the damage youfve caused.

3. Betsu-betsu
Means gto split.h This is important to remember at the end of the night when trying not to get stung by paying for someone elsefs overindulgence.

by AlisaFrost rate this post as useful

Re: How to become a regular at an izakaya 2020/12/8 07:17
To be a "regular" you need to be a good repeat customer. Talking to the owner/server helps, so does getting a bottle keep.
Depending on the establishment, you don't necessarily need to go that often once you have established the relationship. I haven't been to my "regular" in Kyoto for about a year, but I know the owner has my whiskey on the shelf for when I eventually get back there.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread