Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

rules for different age for visa application 2020/12/8 10:18
Both my mother and father (already got permanent resident card) are in Japan. They recently applied for my visa for one year stay and already booked ticket for next 7 days . But the embassy in my country set the date of appointment for NEW VISA application after two months. I am currently 18 years old. I will be 19 by the time of date set by embassy. I was to study there in Japan. Will the dependent status of the visa be changed? Will it take same amount of money applied while i was 18 or have to pay the same as the others with student visa?
by potato (guest)  

Re: rules for different age for visa application 2020/12/8 15:27
Can you get a dependent visa when you are of adult ages?

Would student visa be a safer option.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: rules for different age for visa application 2020/12/8 22:10
Yes you can get dependent visa in adult age too. Depends on the person you're depending upon.

Student visa is safer. But it has work limit which won't help you if you have working intention. Dependent will be beneficial for earning.

I have this much info. not so wrong but please do research more.
by potato (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: rules for different age for visa application 2020/12/9 07:43
You can be a dependent until something like 21 - there is a number on the internet somewhere - you can google it. Also, the age for adulthood in Japan is 20, so 18 or 19 would not be a problem.
Where it doesn't apply is if you are obviously an adult say 26 - there was a thread a few months back where someone was trying to be a dependent when they were clearly an adult.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: rules for different age for visa application 2020/12/9 09:21
Do you currently have dependent visa? But you are outside Japan right now?

Dependent (of permanent resident) visa is available for those that needs to be supported by the family member in Japan. So if you have been away from your parents for a long time, then theyfd assume that you do not need to be supported, thus not really gdependenth of your parents.

That might be the reason why they are scheduling an interview – to find out if you are working/living on your own, and why you want to go to Japan.
If your main purpose is to study in Japan (language school?), then applying for a student visa might be the better option.

I donft understand the part of your question about the amount – if you want to study at a school, youfd have to pay the same amount for tuition, no matter which visa, I assume?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: rules for different age for visa application 2020/12/9 11:16
haha, OP's intention is "work in Japan".

here is interest information.
https://www.ss1-office.jp/15249867644985
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: rules for different age for visa application 2020/12/9 12:50
The above article quoted by gkenh describes what is available for the child of permanent resident born outside Japan (which we donft know if this applies to the OP here). It is glong-term resident.h

The last paragraph on that page by the legal scrivener (who files application with immigration authorities) concludes:

gAs stipulated above, under-age and unmarried applicants fulfill the requirement, but you need to note that the older the child gets, more likely that the application for long-term resident status gets denied. The background is that even if the applicant is under-age in Japan (younger than 20), if he/she is of age by the law of the home country (for example 18 in China), he/she might take up employment in Japan, so thus the probability of rejection gets very high. Generally speaking, children who have reached 18 year old are often determined to be capable of supporting themselves, thus the application turned down. While families have their own circumstances and reasons [for wishing to bring your children over to Japan at a certain timing], but this means if you want to bring over your children [to Japan], it is better to do so while they are young.h
(A passage from: https://www.ss1-office.jp/15249867644985
Translated into English and [ note] added by AK).

However, ken, there is no information in the question by OP that he/she wants to work in Japan or whatsoever, so there is neither any need for you to make such an assumption nor be sarcastic about it.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: rules for different age for visa application 2020/12/9 13:42
everyone, thank you for the information.
if that 'OP' is referring to me, i have studying intentions rather than work. even if it's work, i think it's okay. you might have misunderstood and also my language might have been quite not understandable. i just posted the info i got from few people.
about the amount, I couldn't explain properly, I apologise. however, I received the information regarding that. thank you again for the help.

Re: rules for different age for visa application 2020/12/9 21:42
written by OP,
"Student visa is safer. But it has work limit which won't help you if you have working intention. Dependent will be beneficial for earning."

but, by the way, OP does not know the difference of "dependent" and "long-term".
and probably, OP don't understand the terminology of immigration.
it is hard to understand his/her situation clearly.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: rules for different age for visa application 2020/12/10 07:00
You are allowed to work up to 30 hours a week on a student visa with permission.

So you saying that is no good visa for your working intentions means you wanna work more than that.

What did we not understand?
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: rules for different age for visa application 2020/12/10 17:19
ken, yeah i didn't knew such terms. i got the info i need (many from Apk) . thank you for the concern. it's resolved.

H, for the part "what did we not understand" seems like you really didn't understand. first i posted the info i received from others to the one who asked if student visa is safer. in that reply of mine, ken commented "haha OP's intention is 'work in japan' " which I'm not sure of the meaning. and "you might have misunderstood" was my reply to ken's comment. also, i wrote "my language might have been quite not understandable" which clearly indicates my acceptance in case of my mistake.
anyway, "allowed to work up to 30 hours a week" was helpful. thanks.

reply to this thread